Studying...MM AiO 6th Edition

Discussion in 'A+' started by swatto, Mar 6, 2009.

1. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Hey all,

Following my previous post on processor pipelining I have been thinking maybe im doing the whole 'studying' thing totally wrong - I read something in the book and then write it down, its like im writing the entire book in a shortened version and it is taking me ages (hence im still on chapter 3). What would you guys/girls suggest is a better way of studying for this as my current method will take me forever and I want to get through the book within a few months.

Thankyou for any help :biggrin

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

When I done my A+, I just read the book from cover to cover, very little notes. I did have a years experience behind me which im sure helped, but I think i'd still suggest doing the same.

Once you've read over the book, perhaps do a Transcender, see how you get on and how much of the knowledge you've managed to retain. It will show you your weak points, and you will know if you struggle on any questions. From there its a good idea to go into more depth with notes etc...

Just my opinion though, everyone studies different! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Thankyou for your reply nXPLOsi. I have been thinking about doing that but worried that I won't remember anything and would have read the entire book for nothing - saying that though im sure if something popped up in an exam I would be able to remember something about it that I read.

4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I read through it once to get an overview of the whole thing. Some things make more sense after reading later chapters.
    I wish I'd taken the time to jot down important information (max cable lengths, wireless speeds, CAT speeds, video resolutions etc etc etc) during this first run through. This stuff has to be memorised so best to start asap.
    Then I tested myself. Wasn't a great improvement so I went back through the book taking notes on anything that I felt was important or I wasn't quite up to speed on.
    Then it was just a case of test, identify weak areas, study weak areas, test, .... until I felt 90+% sure I would pass.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I'm using the Sybex book and my first run through the book I just used a highlighter and highlighted all the basic info on lots of things that I didn't already know or thought would likely be asked on a test. After this I took a couple practice exams to see how much I actually retained and to identify my weaknesses. Now I'm going back through each chapter and jotting small notes of things I didn't remember very well and things you have to memorize like video resolutions, the OSI model, IEEE 802.X sepcs and what not. After I finish this I'm going to book my exam and cram cram cram until it's time.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

You guys seem to have a very planned out structural approach to your studying. I just read and write the paragraphs in the book shorter :eek:

I read through and there is so much stuff that I think I won't remember or haven't heard of before (especially hardware information) that I end up writing it all down which is taking alot of time rather than just taking small notes - which I can't seem to do :dry

7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I used Meyers book and the Sybex one-both very useful.
    I went through each objective and made notes on each using the two books. It helped me eliminate what I knew already and what I needed to learn.

8. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

Hi Swatto,
    I found reading the book from cover to cover 1st without taking notes, (some stuff does sink in)
    The 2nd time i went through it i jotted certain things down. ie cable lengths and stuff. Done some practice tests,found weak areas then concentrated on then chapters,things u may not have understood the 1st time may seem a lot clearer after a 2nd read. Hope it goes well, i have my 602 booked for 10days time.
    Good luck mate

Certifications: A+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

Dont worry mate, i am doing the self studying as well, for me the best way is to read through it, dont take any notes, have a go at the end of chapter test ( Mike Myers ??), ( i usually average 6/10) till you complete the book and you will be surprised how much you actually remember,( i always say something is better than nothing) then read though again but concentrate more on the things you dd not get the first time, but try to do some practical not just pure reading as for me this gets pretty tiredsome, then have ago at the test again. I have just completed chapter 3 bout CPUs, i got the basics, but next time i will go over a few things in more detail. Then once ready i will do some practice exams and see what standard i am at. But the main thing is dont rush cause you wil start to make mistakes and forget things just take your time. If this works for me, and im from a solider background, very non technicial where my skills involed running up and down hills firing a gun and thats it, it can work for anyone.

Best of luck

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS
  10. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Thankyou for the positive replies all - I think I will read it through without taking notes then at first - then the second time round I can pick up the notes where I left off and add little things to it to enfore my knowledge :)

11. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Sounds good, the best way to study is to do what helps you learn and retain the most knowledge, it is different for everyone. Try out different techniques eventually something is going to make it stick in your noggin.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I can't stress enough the importance of getting started memorising things such as data transfer speeds etc asap. There's a lot to remember. I never twigged until after my second run through the book, which set me back a little I think.
    Have a look at this thread http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread28125.html. It links to an adaptive flash card program and a list of the official A+ acronyms to get you started.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I read the book then went through it again higlighting bits I thought I needed to really know like IRQs and processor package and wattage. Then then on the morning a day before my exam I went through those highlighted bits.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?