Studying Marathon: A+, Network, Security+

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by BB88, Feb 22, 2010.

1. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Hello all, I have been following this Forum for quite some time and not contributing as much as I like but have found it a valuable resource.

Following the recent disruption with CompTIA changing their policies on certification more than a hooker changing a condom, I am still on the path of completing the three aforementioned before the year ends.

It sounds like a hard task, but I am seriously up for it and will dedicate a lot of my time in to this.

I currently work for a Secondary School as an ICT Technician with no formal qualification other than an A Level in Computing, so I am doing well to land such a decent job from that alone. I did have a short stint as 1st Line Support for Toshiba, but was offered the job at the School and it was too good an opportunity to turn down. I also have my own ICT Business and have several contracts spread around my local area, but I am looking to get officially certified for my own ego, and to benefit myself in the long run. I have a strong knowledge base of desktop support and networking.

Looking on Amazon I have come across a very tidy package and was wondering what you guys thought about it for my upcoming study.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

I currently have Mike Meyers Fifth and Sixth Edition of CompTIA A+, and James Pyles Street Smarts for 2006 Objectives but I would like to have the most up to date material for the new exams. I have read these three books through once and am already comfortably scoring 70% so A+ should be in the bag with some heavy revision before exam taking. How do the certification kits compare to the level of information needed to complete my task, and if not, could you recommend some resources for me.

Thank you in advanced all!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I prefer the A+ AIO over the Sybex A+.

Groth's old Network+ book by Sybex was great, but I don't know how well the new Network+ book does the job without Groth.

I would avoid the Security+ book by Sybex - it's filled with errors. Please see my review and recommendations in this thread.

Note that this opinion is coming from someone who has written a book for Sybex... I simply call them like I see them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!