Studying for the A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone I am studying for A+ Exams using the Mike Meyers book and I am having trouble truly understanding some of the concepts. For instance yesterday after two complete days of study, I finished the chapter on Microprocessors. The problem is I am having trouble understanding some of the more complex ideas. Like Clock speed and mutipliers.

I read in a post that combinbing hands on practice with theory is one good way to really understand a concept or idea. I bought a Pentium III to practice on because it is recent. But I also have a Pentium. Does anyone have any suggestions should I try practicing some of the things that I am learning if so how?
    Should I get th Mike Meyers Lab Manual. I cant think of how to put into practice some of the things that I am learning.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

IMO, it's difficult to get 'hands on' practise in learning about multipliers and clock speeds. It could be that they way it is being phrased is difficult for you to absorb; not all writing styles work.

Try reading about the subject matter from a different context. I've searched for these for you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_speed
    http://www.helpoverclocking.com/english/jumpers.htm
    http://www.cyberiapc.com/overclocking.htm
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci211799,00.html

Hope this helps!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Professor-Falken

Thanks for the help. Those explanations really helped.
    I plan to pickup the Mike Meyers lab manual today at the library to see what it is like. I hope it helps. I read that theory and practice is what really help in understand concepts.

Ok, anymore advice would be greatly appreciated
    Professor Falken

4. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Yes practical experience is a good way of understanding concepts and you could build yourself a PIII system for under £50 from ebay, I have a spare chip myself bought for £3. But clock speed and multipliers is not something you can see happening you would have to learn to overclock to grasp the concept (very dangerous for a beginner). Anyway like Arroryn said read other text to get a better understanding it's not something that the A+ centers around perhaps one simple question.

WIP: A+ N+ SECURITY+ SERVER+
  5. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Practical sessions are really good to learn from i think, i have only just signed up for my A+ and N+ course.... I signed up for a learn from home package whcich set me back, but that includes all practicals, books, tools everything.

Im looking at about a year to complete both :D

Also whats this mike myers book everyone keeps babbling on about? I might have to get in touvh with my tutor and get him to send me one out if it is really useful.

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yeah, some of the concepts take a little longer than others to grasp. Don't panic, take a break and look forward to the topics that will just sink straight in. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Professor-Falken

Thanks again everyone for your help
    I am now studying chapter 4 - RAM (Random Access Memory)
    Could anyone give me some websites where I could find answers to questions on different computer related topics?

For Example:

What is a clock cycle
    What is dynamic processing
    What is a pipeline

Thanks again,

Profressor Falken

8. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

you could try searching the same websites you were given earlier...

I bet you'll find a ton of stuff there..

also try www.webopedia.com

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Prof,

Without wishing to sound unkind, I think maybe you underestimate the power of Google to answer your own questions. By pasting exactly what you asked above, I brought up exact answers to your questions (with the exception of your 3rd question, where I had to specify the subject by adding "CPU" at the end of the query).

We love to help each other out here, but sometimes, some Members may get a little impatient when others ask things that Google is there to find, and you might get less response as a result.

I mean this constructively - I doubt if there is any questions we have not tried to answer, but you can help yourself as well, and ultimately help others too. That's what it's about, after all :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Professor-Falken

Thank again searching is Google is a great help in deed! And dont' worry I wasnt offended by what you said.
    I have another question. I have a copy of the Mike Meyers Lab Manual and right now I am reading the Exam guide and making notes when do you think I should practice the labs. When I finish the entire book or should I practice after reading each chapter.

Thanks again for your help,
    Professor Falken