Studying for A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by ooberman, Jun 27, 2006.

1. ooberman

ooberman Bit Poster

Hi guys

For those of you who have taken the A+ exam, did you study for the hardware exam then take that exam, then study for the OS exam and take that one, or did you study for both at the same time.

If you did study for both at the same time, did you have any problems remembering any of the material. I'm just a bit worried that I may forget some of material if I try to do both at the same time.

Thanks
    ger

Certifications: A+
    WIP: ???
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I suggest you take one at a time.. im assuming this could be your first IT exams so cramming too much isnt a good idea.. take the Core pass it then take the OS and pass it! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In my case I used the MM book that we all rave about. This doesn't completely separate the core from the OS, and IMHO this is no bad thing as some questions can appear in either exam I think.

However - I did concentrate on the particular areas for each exam as I took them, so I suppose my method is a sort of half-way house between the two methods!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Jobbo

Jobbo Bit Poster

The course I've started begins with the hardware through to the exam and then goes on to the OS side of it.

Gary

WIP: A+
  5. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

yeah first study for hardware and give the exam and then for the OS, u'll be fine :)

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  6. ooberman

ooberman Bit Poster

You assume right Zimbo, this is my first proper I.T exam, I have just completed an NVQ but doesn't cover nearly as much stuff as the A+.

Thanks anyway guys, I think I will go for the hardware first then move on to the OS exam.

ger

Certifications: A+
    WIP: ???
  7. bloomfieldliam

bloomfieldliam Bit Poster

I studied for the Harware side first then the OS, you'd be awful clever if you could do both, since the exams are in two parts just take it easy and ensure you pass them both.

Liam

Certifications: A+, MCP XP, MA in IT, ECDL
  8. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I studied for both to begin with.As Hbroomhall says,there are subjects that are covered by both disciplines and I can recall having questions in one exam that I thought better suited the other!

It really depends on how long you set yourself to study before the exam date.Having read the MM book once,I then concentrated solely on Hardware before my core exam,then studied the OS in the run up to my OS exam.I had the time to do this and it really paid off in my case.Study the way you feel most comfortable with and don't try to take it all in at once.Good luck.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  9. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Was studying for both together but I've been building and messing around with PCs for a long time. Did the hardware first and gave myself more time to study the OS as there are a few versions of windows I've never really got in depth with and wanted to make sure I knew all the ins and outs.
    As it's your first cert, study the one you feel more comfortable with first, it will give you a boost when you pass that first exam and motivate you to study the 2nd.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA