studying for 70-270 & 70-290

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by tony6472, Aug 8, 2008.

1. tony6472

tony6472 New Member

I am on a home learning course with itskills group.Is it possible to prepare for and pass the 70-270 and 70-290 exams while only studying on a computer with the xp home operating system.

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSA
  2. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Assuming that you don't have Domain experience, I would say not a chance. With only XP, you won't have any exposure to Server (for the 70-290). Get a copy of the MS Press 70-290 book, and it includes an evaluation copy of server 2003. You can then install this in a virtual machine.

The problem with XP Home edition is that it will not join a domain, as well as a few other issues. Knowledge of how clients act within a domain environment is essential for both of these exams.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to Cert Forums!

As Maria said you will not be able to test any of the Domain environment stuff on XP Home or anything like NTFS Permissions etc.

I would recommend that you build a 'lab' for both the 70-270 and 70-290.

If you download either MS Virtual PC or VM Server you will be able to install Virtual Machines on your PC which can be connected in a Domain environment.

As Maria said with the MS 70-290 book you get a free evaluation copy of Server 2003 R2 Edition, you just need a copy of XP Pro.

Good luck with your studies.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :) Why don't you start with the MCDST first of all and go on from there? If you want to play around in a virtual environment with VPC 2007, you'll need at least XP Pro.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Hi and welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'd listen to Ken's advice very carefully if I were you. The MCDST would be far more beneficial to you to start with and would be a good stepping stone onto the 70-270

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

70-290 is one of the easiest exams in the mcse track.70-270 is a joke of an exam so dont worry about that.

Dont do the Mcdst it will just take you off track from the mcse as you have to do exams that dont count towards a mcse qualification.

Get server 2003 and install it on a virtual machine (virutal pc is free from microsoft) thats all you need.

Good Luck.

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would have to disagree with you there, the 70-270 is not a joke, while it has a high pass rate I have know IT Pro's to fail the exam first time round. Not to mention that the 70-270 (if you don't use the 70-620 as a core) is a requirement of the MCSE.

As for the MCDST, granted it does not count towards the MCSE, but it does:

1. Covers knowledge that the other exams do not
    2. Geared up towards desktop/helpdesk support, which the MCSA & MCSE is does not
    3. Counts towards the MCSA &
    4. Does give a good ease into MS exams

One thing that I would also like to point out, while it's great to have the MCSE (to validate/reflect your job role and responsibilities), it alot better to have the knowledge of all the different levels below (MCSE is Tier 3, MCSA is Tier 2 and the MCDST is Tier 1). I learnt a few things from the MCDST when I did it, and I was a MCSA at the time, and I expect a few people will also say the same thing.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. armouredcrack

armouredcrack Bit Poster

Hi i am a newb to cf

I am studying 70-270 and 70-290 to work my way towards my MCSA. Can anyone give me any advice. I have studied the MS press books, used transcender and microsoft readiness software to prepare.

I am hopeing to take the first of the two shortly. Just wondering if there is something i have missed.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I haven't read quite so much nonsense combined into such a short post for some time. Well done, it's quite an achievment!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Agreed

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Too bad we can't take away rep. Then again, it's at zero... so...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Have to say, this statement is quite insulting to those that are working their hearts out to get those certs, or have already done so.

To give someone advice like this is giving them false expectations. This could easily lead to them either taking the exam before they are ready, and then failing badly, or finding themselves struggling with the study materials, for an exam that they believe to be 'a joke'. Either situation would be a serious confidence knock.

Maria

17. armouredcrack

armouredcrack Bit Poster

Hi all just to let you know i passed both 270 and 290 now working on 291 to finish my MCSA. Good times :D

18. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Congrats and well done !

Good for you !

Now onto the next, eh ?!

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  19. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations

Best of luck with the 291.

Maria

20. armouredcrack

armouredcrack Bit Poster

Thanks UKDarkstar and Maria,

By the looks of 291 i think i will need all the luck i can get :P