Studying Advice

Discussion in 'A+' started by AvD, Mar 17, 2008.

1. AvD

AvD Nibble Poster

Well first off, i'm glad to be back, i haven't posted much since my first spurt, not because i didn't want to but simply i got moved to a different position. and my new boss was the devil. luckerly the lad who i swapped positions with sucked. so i asked for my old job back and had all the higher management + secretaries naging too. so YAY! i am back with my own office.

so simply put i can view websites again.

i've been studying Comptia with the Mike meyers 6th ed. i also have the pc tech street smarts not used that yet.

i've just completed my second read through of the book, this time leaving postits on chapters where my end of chapter marks are low.

i am using preplogics testing software and that highlights my weakness's even more, unfortunatly i haven't been able to grab free time at home to sit and take a practice exam in a while so i can't give any ideas of my current weak points or how well i have improved on my previous areas.

but what i am wondering, inside the book it covers many different cable types, lengths, bandwidths, ram types speeds and so on, i am wondering how on earth do you all get it down. what are your techniques for remembering it all?

also are there any websites you would suggest that would help strengthen my knowledge? in essence to supplement the books. luckerly i have my own office again and in this position plenty of free time, so plently of time for study.

well except for right now as my boss just left his office, so i've had the wonderful chance *sigh* to go pick up 7 volume set of books that i have to pull apart and put in 3 new versions of inserts. and in total the new inserts and 3x the size of the mike meyers book (literally).

i look forward to any and all responses, and its so glad to be back : OD

WIP: A+, MCAD
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I don't think you can memorize it all unless you have a photographic memory.

I am taking both my A+ exams in a couple of weeks and what I have done for revision is to highlight important parts of the book instead of taking notes because I'd end up using loads of A4 pads.

I haven't highlighted any points in the pc technician street smarts book as that is more of an exercise books where you actually practice whats in the book such as resetting passwords and installing hardware like PCI cards.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello AvD

Good to see your back, I was wondering what happened to you!:biggrin

Studying any subject is hard, because there are so many factors to consider such as time, family commitments, motivation and study materials.

I find studying in smalll steps, such as a chapter per night or per week (depends what's on) 8)

don't set your target too high!

Write down what you are studying, make notes, then make concise notes with question on these notes to quiz yourself. - This is what I do!:biggrin

I use CF for information on the subject and problems I have encounted. I also used exam cram which has a quiz of the day and ther books have tons of questions. Which gives you a good feel on what the exam questions are like!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. AvD

AvD Nibble Poster

Well payday is 8 Days away, so i might purchase the exam crams for A+.

Taking notes does sound good, i'm not a big fan of highlighing inside my books i don't know why. but i do use a hell of alot of postits.

I will deffinatly start taking written notes as when i am done i'll just place them in the recycling at work.

although i MAY be in luck soon, theres a job opening in my local government where i work. it is for a ICT Helpdesk Support Technician. if i can get that (i've applied) they will cover the costs of exams etc. and from what i heard (in my other post which i hated i started to create a contact table of managers in the ICT department) the council will cover the A+ and Network+ their standard employees don't have more than that, a few have the MCDST. but no one in the support has higher. obviously in other areas. but if i do get the job free exams! well sort of. us wonderful tax payers will pay : oD

well its lunchtime now, so better go eat and start my afternoon session of studying, 1- 4:30pm usually :oD

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The more you see it and use it, the easier it is to remember. Right at this moment, it probably seems like an overwhelming amount of information to you. But over time, it'll all become second nature to you.

The best advice I can give is to continually expose yourself to the data... flash cards, taking notes, answering questions, seeing the technology in real-life action... whatever you can do to burn it into your brain.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. AvD

AvD Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice i will certinally taking the advice given, even more so that now i have my office back and colour lazer printer. my hand writing blows so i shall be sorting flash cards via printing, i'm also considering scanning the tables in and making copies of those to stick to my walls so all over the place are the different specs for different types of hardware.

also i think i'll purchase the exam crams today as i am sure they will help.

along with some new shoes 3 miles to work and 3 miles home kind of wears the shoes down

7. allblack

allblack Bit Poster

Ha Hi all am been away from this forums for a some 3 months now but still working hard for the A+.
    Have a look at http://www.nuggetlab.com/ as it has some doc sheet in text photo to help out in the A+ and Net+, Cisco stuff to down load. Just print off the sheets and it will save you a lot of time copying it all down form the books.:biggrin

Certifications: in IT none
    WIP: A+, N+, MCDST
  8. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

You could book the exams as well, this will help you get your backside in gear and get studying :)

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP
  9. AvD

AvD Nibble Poster

Thanks for the link, i'll start looking over that in the afternoon its minutes from my lunch break so food first printing second.

i don't tend to get on over the weekend due to being busy hence this late response. weekends = Study, Cleaning, Drinking, Women.

and i don't need to book to force studying i study most of the day in my office due to no real work load currently. but if i did need a kick up the arse i would defo book the test : oD

Thanks guys this has all been helpful