studying 70-290 on xp home

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by tony6472, Aug 9, 2008.

1. tony6472

tony6472 New Member

First of all,as a new member,I would like to thank those who have generously offered their support.In order to successfully pass the 70-290 I do realise that I would have to upgrade from xp home to xp profesional,but as a matter of principle, I simply refuse to do this and incur even more expense.I quote from an e-mail I received from a course tutor when I expressed my concerns about this "The courseware, study guide and exam preparation software we provide our students enables them to study and master all the objectives required to pass the exam". Although I do not see how I can properly revise subjects such as domain envoironments,NTFS permissions,ASR etc.Any advice on this matter would be very much appreciated.Thank you.

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

or download a free 30 day trial copy from M$. (even some books, actually come with trial copies aswell.)
    it would be extremely helpful if you did have the PRO version, as there are quite a few items covered, where this would not work within the HOME version.

3. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

The MS 70-270 book comes with a 120-Day evaluation copy of Windows XP Pro and the MS book 70-290 comes with 120-Day evaluation copy of Windows Server 2003.

If you have been given these books as part of your course work then you have all you need to help you pass.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just a thought... but if you hadn't paid a bunch of money for a course... you'd be able to afford much more than just XP Pro. :) A subscription to Microsoft's TechNet Plus Direct is quite affordable, and well worth the cost!

Self-study for the win! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

what do you get from Technet Plus Direct?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  6. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

You can get these second hand of ebay if you are short of cash.
    I bought mine there and sold them for more than I paid for them to buy my Vista book.

Be careful though that you have enough free trial days left if the software has been activated.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  7. BosonMichael

Basically, every bit of software Microsoft currently offers (with some exceptions, such as some of the more expensive programming tools).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. BosonMichael

You can activate free trials over and over and over again... you just have to wipe and reinstall after the trial period is over.

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291