Study tips

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Mazman, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Mazman

Mazman New Member

Hi

I've started my N+ study with the great help from Mike-Myers All-in-One Network+ book, but I just wondered how everyone else studied for their N+.

I know ones way may not work for others, but here is what I'm doing at the moment.

I am reading through every single page of the book first as advised by Mr Myers and I am hi lighting worthy information to note. Then my plan is to re-read the whole book again this time focusing on the test specifics and making sure I know the stuff, maybe with extended reading from net and videos.

The problem I'm finding is as I am reading through I will find something very interesting and find myself diverting my attention to that subject rather than carrying on, if that makes any sense:D

For example IP addressing, Binary and subnetting, my focus went straight into this subject rather than the book.

Have others gone through the book by just reading it and then re-reading and only then focus on individual subjects?

Sorry if I sound confusing, it's easily done.:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Hey - I'm studying the network+ with mike myers books, on page 145. I've developed my own style of learning after reading his A+ book.

I read & take notes on each chapter. I learn better off hand written notes. At the end of the chapter I consolidate everything into half a page of cramming notes...move on to next chapter. So come the end of the book I'll have concise exam specific notes on each chapter to revise off.

When I finish the book I'll watch the Prof Messer videos as a refresh/fill in the blanks. A second animated learning tool really helped fill in the blanks and as a refresher.

I'll also read the exam objectives and at least understand what every term on it means. Next is to research the best practice exam software. Boson helped with my A+ prep.

Only other tip is don't stop!!. After I finished studying for A+ I started my 1st IT job, I had 2weeks off before revising & sitting exam...much harder getting back into it. Don't stop and keep it fresh in mind.

Hope that helps.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  3. Mazman

Mazman New Member

Thanks for that, I agree with watching videos too as using just one source may become a bit boring, but so far I'm enjoying learning from Mike Myers:)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I like to read a book from cover to cover first if it is a new field for me. Basically so I can understand the concepts rather than dot the i's and cross the t's on the finer details.
    If I already have a good background on the subject I'll just go stright to stage 2, working through the book taking notes where necessary and going through all the practices, recommended reading etc.
    Having an alternate study source (videos, CBTs etc) is also something I usually do. Fortunately my work provides a virtual library and CBTs, so I can use whatever secondary sources that are available for free. A good set of practice exams doesn't go amiss when you feel you're close to the passing grade but I can normally live without them if the secondary source has a decent amount of chapter review questions.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Thought i would also share my studying experiences..

With the A+ i read the whole of Mike Meyers book from page to page then i went through Professors Messers videos...I then bought the exam software from Boson and took practice exams...I realised what areas i was lacking in and re read those chapters in the book. I then wrote on post it notes key abbreviations and things which i needed to know such as port numbers and stuck them up around my bedroom and other areas of the house.

Things have gone a little different with the Network+ for me as i havent ever really dealt with networks other than at home on a small basis. I started reading the Miker Meyers book and as soon as i got up to the chapter about subnetting etc i just couldnt get my head round it. I feel that its not written very well and the section after about converting decimal to binary and back should be before the subnetting information as it would of helped me get subnetting alot quicker.

Anyway once i got to that chapter and got a bit stuck i watched the Professor Messer video on subnetting and got it straight away...I then went back to the book and the same thing has happened again ive found the next chapter a little confusing so ive now completly put the book down after chapter 8 and have started watching all the Professor Messer videos from the start but as im watching them im making notes on everything...

Once ive watched all these videos i plan to start with the book again and then that way i think i will understand some of the terms in the book a bit better. It just seems to be going into my head a little easier in video form lol.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  6. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I like the idea of this, when i go back to reading the book after the videos i might have to do this myself

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  7. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

I've read the same thing elsewhere about people getting stuck on his subnetting chapter. I'm on chapter 6 at the minute so i may watch the prof messer videos first to get the basics

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...