Study Time & Course Material

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Nimbus, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Nimbus

Nimbus Bit Poster

Hi all

Would like to hear some opinions on how you all best prepare for exams. I have been working full-time as a system admin for the last year and in Server (call centre) support for the two years previous.

I have sat 70-270 and will be sitting three more core exams over the next six months to earn my MCSA. I have decided to use MS Press books and to study for 70-290 first , dividing my study time into the below segments

2.5 hours per night split into:

1.5 Hours Microsoft Press training book (completing objectives on test network)

1 Hour Testout videos

What do you all think of this and more importantly how do use your time for study?

Look forward to your replys

Thanks In Advance

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First - Hi and welcome to CF! :biggrin

When I was swotting up the A+ and N+ exams I used my commuting time for most of it, as well as weekends for more practical stuff.

As the train takes an hour each way it worked well for me!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

I started studying for my A+ Essentials about 3 weeks ago, I've found that I usually have 2 hours a day max to study the material, a little more at weekends. It works for me but everyone is different!

It really depends how quickly you want to take the test, if your taking about a 6 month timescale for 3 exams, I honestly think it'll be pushed to fit it all in, depending on how much you already know and are familar with.

Im sure there are others who have already taken these exams or are currently studying for them who can give you a better idea on the exams :twisted:

Paul

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Nimbus

Nimbus Bit Poster

Cheers for the welcome Harry :biggrin

Never thought of studying while I commute. Might see if I can get a pocket reference for that.

5. Nimbus

Nimbus Bit Poster

Thanks Paul

Well Im quite familar with Server Hardware and the day to day admin stuff in Active directory. I thought 2 months per exam would be plenty enough.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I just study whenever I get the chance. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Work is pretty good...some days I go to work to study and incidently fix the network...:twisted:

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Sounds good Nimbus, Good luck with the studying/exams :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It’s quite a challenging timescale there mate. The 70-291 exam could take up all of that time alone.

Best of luck though! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im living proof! :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics