Study techniques

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Julius, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Julius

Julius Bit Poster

Hi all,

Loving the forum with loads of information on all of my current and future study modules. One thing I am having a real problem with is my study technique / exam technique. I have been at my 640 now for a good 8 moths (not full time obviously). I work full time study part time, I have taken the 640 twice now and both times I have failed it by 1-3 questions. Every time I have failed I take a month or so off and restart my studies but because the last time I studies properly was 10 years ago, getting into the study habit is pretty hard.

So my main question would be what are your best study tips / techniques and if you have any exams technique tips?

Currently using Microsoft Official Training kit for MCITP with CBT nuggets and some additional practice exam papers.

Thanks,
    J

2. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

So what is the main issue, are you getting questions wrong that you should be getting right or is it a case that you're unfamiliar with the material i.e. never learned it in the first place?

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Transformer23

Transformer23 Bit Poster

I was having the same problem getting into the groove of studying as i hadn't done it for a while. This book was recommended to me and im doing the same for you, worth a look.

The study skills handbook - By Stella Cottrell

Good luck for next time

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What additional practice exam papers are you using? I hope they don't start with Test and end with King.

The main thing is to also do the labs and practice, practice, practice. These days it's not enough to just read the book and watch the videos, you need hands on too.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Julius

Julius Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

Apologies for such a late reply, I thought the forum would email when someone replied (as you did) so I haven't been back for a while plus I was away most of December. There must be setting on the profile page some where, I will dig around!

1/4: I am getting material wrong that I should be getting right, I have gone through the MS book and Exam Cram 70-640 just for variation, to try get another point of view on the material, explained a different way.

Transformer23: Thank you very much, I'm on Amazon now!!! :) That's the kind of book I was looking for.

nugget: I can neither confirm nor deny those rumours... I think your right about the labs, especially the more complicated ones, I have done them a few times but I think I need to revisit them and do them from scratch, because my work does not provide with enough practice in server side.

I have booked my exam for 1st Feb 2012 to do the 640, here's to 2 tough weeks! :)

Thanks all!!

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Definitely stay away from "papers" like these!

As for your point you made above in response to nugget, if you want more practice and your work can't offer it - virtualisation is your friend. VMWare has done me very proud over the past year or so. Whilst I troubleshoot DNS/DHCP problems, I don't get the opportunity to set up from scratch and break in as many ways as possible - without virtualisation I'd be a poorer man (knowledge wise!) today!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. Transformer23

Transformer23 Bit Poster

Your welcome. Im glad i could be of any help. :)

8. Julius

Julius Bit Poster

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your feedback. Sitting this AM and getting down to the books / labs and just general revision.

Booked my exam for the 1st of Feb. 2 weeks should be enough for revision!

Have great weekends all!

J

9. Chen K.

Chen K. New Member

Julius,

Did you try the 70-640 book from Don Poulton? I didn't like the MSPress book, though I have used them for years. The Poulton book really helped me to pass.
    I also run a four computer lab, two servers, two clients, plus virtual machines. It really makes the difference.

10. Julius

Julius Bit Poster

Hi Chen k,

Thanks very much for the reply, I do have that book, I got it just so that I could have a different perspective on the MS book and you are right they are good!

I need to get back into my labs, they really help.

11. Chen K.

Chen K. New Member

Yes. Work on as many real-world scenarios as you can. that's what really helped me with the scenario-oriented questions. I guess that's stating the obvious.
    Going to finish my MCITP Enterprise Administrator soon. Just passed the Security+