Study Resources For My A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by Andrew_P, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I am looking at what study resources to get at the moment I am looking the below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0072229918/203-8435986-0193512?v=glance&n=266239 (I presume this covers both hardware and software units?)

I am trying to find some official CBT Nugget A+ Videos but apart from the official site where they are extremely expensive I had a quick look on Ebay but I dont think many are offical CBT ones.

Is books and CBT's a good way to go do you peeps think? :)

Also using VM Ware to try things out etc as its the only way to learn new things by physically doing them.

Thanks All

Andrew

Certifications: None at present
    WIP: A+
  2. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

The book you link to is THE A+ study guide,highly recommended and a surefire asset to your studies.You should be aware that the 2003 objectives (the exam that book caters for) are to be retired in March 31st 2007 and a new exam introduced thereafter (the 2006 objectives no less).As long as you are confident of passing your A+ before the March 2007 deadline then go ahead and buy the Mike Meyers 5th edition.If you feel you may need to take a little longer then I would recommend waiting untill the new 6th edition is released and study for the new exams.

As for the CBT's,yes,they are rather pricey but are an excellent study tool accompanied with your books.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Videos are just another tool.. if you cant get them the A+ All in one is all you need! i think instead look for a oldish pc on ebay instead of vmware so you can get the *real* feel of your OS and the PC handling it.. but if you cant then vmware is a top product and you wont stop using it!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

I dont really have much space to have a desktop machine as I have a laptop I am using due to only having a small room so VM Ware seemed a good alternative.

Also is it safe to post links to see what people think of CBT's on EBay?

Thanks

Andrew

5. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

I really dont know what to do really, part of me thinks to wait as theres only 3 months to go before the new objectives come out and part of me thinks to try and do it before march 2007.

Also can anyone find the new Mike Meyers book what is due out as I cant find it on Amazon.

One last thing does this mean Network +, Server + etc is going to have new objectives also?

Cheers

Andrew

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I really dont know what to do really, part of me thinks to wait as theres only 3 months to go before the new objectives come out and part of me thinks to try and do it before march 2007.

Personally, i would start to study for current topics. You have plenty of time to take and pass both exams.

Also can anyone find the new Mike Meyers book what is due out as I cant find it on Amazon.

Try Mike's own website-http://www.totalsem.com

One last thing does this mean Network +, Server + etc is going to have new objectives also?

You can go to http://www.comptia.org for the latest objectives after giving some details. Yes, the objectives do change from time to time.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Both Network+ and Server+ have been updated recently (i.e. a year or so ago) so I suspect are unlikely to be updated again soon.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

I checked on that Mike Meyers site but cant see his latest book for the new A+ Objectives when they come out.

Im sure Amazon had it and it was a hardback but it seems to of gone.

9. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

Anyone? :)

10. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

Is it safe to post ebay links to CBT's on here? :oops:

To see what people think of certain ones.

11. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I can't answer that one,but tell us which ones you are interested in and we will be able to give a hands on review of your choices.The chances are that all of the CBT's you list will have been used and rated by one or more of CF's members.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  12. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

13. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

I decided to purchase the above CBT's and now I am just looking for what book I am going to use.

Mike Meyers all in one looks good to me, I hope that I am starting now I will be able to complete it by March 2007 :ohmy

14. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

The vast majority here would agree on those are "the ones" for books on A+...

Hopefully these will give you enought time to pass your A+, and remember, if you get stuck, just yell.

15. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

What about practice Disk's?? Anyone know where i can get hold of some??

Craig

For the A+

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  16. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

17. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

All gone quiet in this thread :dry , CBT's should be arriving tomorrow is the price for the Mike Meyers book on Amazon the cheapest does anyone know?