Study Methods

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Methodman85, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

I was just wodering what some of everyone's study methods are.
    When you read, do you usually take notes? Or do you just read the books multiple times until the information sticks. Or both? I found myself very bad at reading and taking notes, it took forever. I'm wondering if I'm better off just reading.

By the way I just realized that I used the Learnkey 70-270 Training videos to study for the 70-271. I'm an Idiot, thank goodness I still passed.
    I wonder if that means I'm ready for the 70-270...

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I find, reading a chapter then trying to remember the important points of the chapter..after I did that i carried onto the next chapter, i did that taking notes thing also! didnt do me any good at all!!!! i have been doing distance learning now for over a year and to be honest i wouldn't do it again, nothing beats the good old class & teacher!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Perfect world scenario for me includes:
    First:
    Self study with books (can include multiple) and equipment
    - Read it once
    - Read it again making highlights
    - Make notes based on the highlights
    - Read the notes
    - Working on labs throughout this time

Second:
    Take a course on the subject; but I don’t put much emphasis on the in-class labs other than making sure I can do them and assisting other classmates. I find helping others understand concepts helps me too :)

4. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I normally read up on the subject for a few months before taking a course at my local college.
    Coupled with self study and course work should then enable me to take any exams needed.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Read and take a few notes at the end of each chapter. Also lab work and take a few screenshots for the notes if needed. There are plenty of resources on the web as well such as technet.

Buy some decent test questions (e.g Transcender) and if scoring ok go for the real exam. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Wow, so it seems like self study is a lot less popular than I thought it would be.
    Classes are soooooo expensive though, and with work it makes it so hard to take one.
    That's why I like the training videos... It's like having a teacher, except you can pause, rewind, and take notes without missing anything.
    I've only taken 1 exam so far though so I don't know if the videos will be enough in the future... Much cheaper than taking a course though.

Also, is it just me, or are the MS Press books extremely dry... like order a large coffee before you start reading dry.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

On the contrary, most of us here advocate self-study methods. Not sure why the masses haven't come out and gave their viewpoint, other than the fact that the self-study vs. training centre topic has been beat to death.

Agreed, absolutely.

Here's where we disagree. Training videos (and for that matter, live training courses) go far too slow for me. I can't skim a training video; I can skim a book.

Yep, that's their biggest knock. Sybex books are good compliments to them; thus, I typically recommend MS Press and Sybex for MS exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I said "perfect world".
    The point of my earlier post was I like a mix of learning methods. I will always do the self-study first. Self-study means I learn at my pace, put emphasis on what I think is important, and work off my schedule. If schedule and money (specifically my company's willing to pay :) ) work out I will add an instructor led course to add another source and learning method.

I get the most out of self-study, and it's the only thing that's been available to me for most of my work life.

9. Chriseast1

Chriseast1 Bit Poster

I use the MS press books for self study and have a virtual machine or two set up to pratice on. I would recomend running VM's as it allows you to get the hands on the just reading the books will just never give.

Certifications: see signature
    WIP: MCSA next up 291
  10. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

I use MS press books and also have a copy of Virtual PC with the OS installed so that I can practice. I find I learn more if I read something and then put it into practice. As this shows how it works and you are more likely to remember it if you are ever required to do it in the work place.

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  11. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

So do you always take notes when you read, or do you just read, do, and let it stick?

12. BosonMichael

I don't take notes, but many people do. Writing something down helps you retain it in your memory better than simply reading it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

As mentioned earlier...
    I take notes; and I'll read out loud when I don't look out of place :blink

Reading out loud uses more senses, and thus your brain gets it 3 ways:
    - Seeing it (reading)
    - Saying it (out loud)
    - Hearing it

Highlighting and making notes, uses other parts of the brain. In whole the idea is to make you think about the concept to help memorize facts & figures.

14. BosonMichael

Only thing better than saying it and writing it is DOING it. :)

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have found that practicing and doing something a lot sticks more than reading and taking notes (but I do that too as not everything is possible to do in a practicle sense).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I try and get 2 or 3 books per exam, and normally revise like this:

- flick through a chapter of book 1
    - create mind maps (or at least my derivative of one) for everything in that chapter
    - repeat for the rest of book 1
    - create complete mind maps based around individual ideas (ie, for my MCDST, I had maps on IE, Outlook, Office, security etc.)
    - repeat the above process for book 2 etc. adding points to my now printed-out mind maps
    - repeat the process again for book 3 (in this case MS Press book as it contains more details) and add into the mind maps.

Each map is compared against the exam objectives

If work/friend has a video of the course I'll have a go and watching that but most of the time give up because I've learnt it anyway by creating the maps.

Try test exams, Transcender normally.

Take the exam

- the only note I would say is that I don't write everything on the maps, only the things I don't know/not sure of, or things that I feel are important to link topics together even though I already know it.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  17. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Fair point...
    But I meant in addition to doing it. There are always things that need to be remembered (i.e. OSI Model; respective differences in OSPF/EIGRP; IPv6 capabilities; etc...)

18. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Gee... I guess you've not read many traditional computer science books, the Microsoft books are a joy to read in comparison ! Dry...they make you feel like you're eating sawdust ! :D

19. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I personally find the MS press book more interesting to read and learn especially the MS way for the exam without too much waffles:) Each and everyone to he's of her own I suppose:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  20. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Cool, thanks for all of your responses.
    When I was studying for the 271 I watched training videos and took notes. Although this was enough to pass that exam, I doubt it will be enough for future ones. And since it seems like no one else has used this as their sole method of preperation, it looks like I'll have to open up those Giant MS Press books I bought very soon *shutters*
    I'm studying for the 270 right now which already seems much harder than the 271. Since I have the second shot, I'm going to go for it with just the videos as my guide. If that doesn't work I'll give into the books.