Study Material

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Bruins, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Bruins

Bruins Bit Poster

Hello everyone, I’m looking for any and all input on the best stuff to pass 216.
    I took it yesterday and failed. :cry:

What I have is, MSPress, Que, Sybex, Transcenders and stuff from the net about subneting also Cramsession study guides.
    Is there anything else I should have or need?

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Bruins. I saw your post over at SS. Tough break guy, but they call it "the Beast" for a reason. Some of the most talented techs I know nearly crashed and burned on that one.

In a way, since you've already taken the test, you have some idea what to expect and what to prepare for. I imagine, you know which questions seemed ok and which were real stumpers. I've never taken the thing and wouldn't consider myself anywhere near qualified to give you expert advice. It looks like you have some really good texts so the only other thing I could recommend is study, study, study and labs, labs, labs.

I think some of the real Windows gurus here will be more helpful when they respond. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Bruins

Bruins Bit Poster

Thanks Trip
    What I think I need is a one on one with somebody for a day or two. (not sure where to fine that :scratch )
    Any way I will keep on fighting :duel

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Bruins - firstly, welcome :)

I'm probably sticking my neck on the block here, as I'm not even considering the 216 for a bit, so I bow to your greater bravery (and sorry about the fail)

But I hope you don't mind me saying, the list of materials you quoted above is about as good as it's going to get. Personally, I've used MSPress(whole different debate), Transcenders and Cramsessions for my MCPs to date.

Wouldn't you be better going over what you already have to hand, rather than adding in any more materials.

IMHO, I've found that "Transcendering" the H€LL out of myself after the book and Crams, really works - seems to bring your mind upto 110% focus on the subject.

But then, I've yet to face the exam which I refuse to acknowledge the nickname of - I will face that enemy when the time is right.

Just not tonight... :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

:iagree

That's exactly how I got through them all. I failed 216 first time and when I did the retake, I thought that I had actuallt done worse than the first time. Like Gav said, go over the stuff, read the cramsessions and transcenders if you have them. If you do the transcenders, the way I went through them was I f I didn't know the answer use my books and cramsession notes to work it out, rather than look at the transcender answer.

HTH

AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. TJ2004

TJ2004 New Member

I crashed & burned on the "beast" test. So I talked with a couple of MCSE's and they all recommend testking.com QAE & Study Guide. I took them up on there advise and I'm just about ready to try and slay the damn thing the 2nd time around. Good Luck!
    TJ2004 :eek:

7. Japes

Japes Bit Poster

You might concider me luckey but I passed the 216 first try, back when there wasn't a score report so I don't know if I passed by one point or more than that.

What I will say is that I must have completed all the labs several times and delved deeper than the books so that I understood it (as I do with any exam), put servers together that were routing to each other, certificates etc etc.... I will also say that it is the only MS exam where I've gotten damb close to running out of time (something else to watch on this one)
    Don't rely on the the likes of trancender Q&As as only knowing the answers to questions, may get you to pass the exam but in the real world you may not know more than a paper certs worth. Don't get me wrong, I've used trancenders and boson questons and they can help you focus on your weak area's but alone they are not the answer.

8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Bruins

Welcome to our small part of the datasphere.

The book I recommend to everybody on the planet is TCP/IP for Windows 2000 by Ian McLean. It is not a study guide but is book that REALLY helped me understand the 216 exam. Once I understand a topic I can do an exam in it.

Good luck on the retake...

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi and welcome, TJ - sorry to hear of the fail, but best of CertForums luck on the re-sit :)

BTW, @Sandy - you best check the date on Bruin's original post :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Gav

I'll blame TJ for that, still the comment is valid! :oops: :oops: :oops: