Study Material for 70-291

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by bodie37, Apr 4, 2008.

1. bodie37

bodie37 Bit Poster

At the moment I'm using the MSPress and also Mike Myres (sp) passport book.

I've also got VMWare setup with a couple 2003 Servers

Can anybody recommend anymore decent study material I can use

WSUS is not covered in the MSPress book so I will be searching the net for decent material to cover that

Cheers in advance

PS I have just come to the end of my 2 years wilth NITLC and to frank it was a waste of £4,000. I only used the support once and did not attend any workshops. The one exam which I feel needs a workshop is the 70-291 but they do not do one for this. A big mistake in my mind because it is such a hard exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, NT4 W/S & NT4 Server MCP
    WIP: MCSA
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I used the same books for 291 and the TestOut CBT stuff. 291 is hard because there is a lot of stuff to remember. My two years with NITLC expired 12 months ago, I have my MCSA and 293, working on 284 at the moment, still have 294 and 297 to do to get my MCSE. I went on all the workshops, but I really dont think I would have stuck at it if I hadnt spent the £££s.

WSUS is pretty easy. Download and install it, click around and you will know all there is to know in a few hours. Its just like SUS but you can group the client PCs. I think I found a paper on the Microsoft site that explained it all, have a Google around, you should be able to find it.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The MS Press book if that is the second edition then you're set as its all you need for this exam. However, you can also go ahead supplement with Sybex as a second book as two is usually reasonable.

Best wishes with this exam as I too am preparing for this exam in the next few months. What are you going to use as a practice test engine exam i.e. measureup, preplogic or transcender.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I used measureup, transcender and testout for 291.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. bodie37

bodie37 Bit Poster

Thats the main reason why I used NITLC spend the pounds so I would stick to it and not give up

6. bodie37

bodie37 Bit Poster

Used measureup and Transcender

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I thought the Sybex 291 book was good. I also used Transcender and Measureup.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Hold on a minute, you think it waste of money because you only used support once and never went to a workshop?

Well who's the fool there?

I am with the same provider and I use the support 4 or 5 times a week and have been to most of the workshops. In my eyes I think it is money well spent and I made sure I utilised every bit of resource available to me.

Soory to be harsh, but you get what you pay for if you use it correctly.

MrM

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You, if you continue to attack members of this forum by calling them fools. :badi

Name calling *really* doesn't help strengthen your argument. There are plenty of other ways to tell someone that they made a mistake than by calling them fools.

"Sorry to be harsh", but if you expect to be treated with respect, then you should do the same.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. bodie37

bodie37 Bit Poster

Right, for a start I did not need to attend the workshops as I'm in IT already and have been for over 15 years. The 70-291 is a beast and in my role (which is ICT Manager) we only have one site with a single domain, RRAS is handled by a Netscreen Firewall with VPN and quite alot of support is with a third party company. So much of 70-291 is new to me hence the fail. This is why I'm trying to get MSCA/E certification so I can move my career on to the next level.

The point I was trying to make as that 70-291 is an exam that is know to be one of the hardest that Microsoft do and to not have a workshop for it is quite poor IMHO.

NITLC have not done anything really to warrent £4,500 of my hard earnt money (my company refused to support me in my training, another reason for leaving). But it was my choice because I knew that if I did not spend the money then I would not complete the course.

The salesman even used the line that this is a last chance to join as there are only a few places left. Something now that I know is a lie.

Perhaps in future you should find out before hand people's circumstances before calling them a fool!!!

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

To get your moneys worth you should be on the phone asking questions about the 70-291 and also sending emails to the tutors. Do you really expect them to contact you and create work for themselves? :blink

The 70-291 is a beast of an exam, I failed it first time as well but it is passable. Just focus on your weak areas and I’m sure you will be fine next time.

In regard to your work if your network is so small why do you need outsourced support? Ditch them when the contract is up and take it on yourself, it’s the best way to learn. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. bodie37

bodie37 Bit Poster

Thank you

Just to mention that I've ordered the Sybex book. I was reading some reviews on Amazon and a few people really slate the MSPress 70-291 study book

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Also worth looking at the material for WSUS on technet. Helped me out for the exam. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds to me like you're doing the wise thing: doing your research by checking reviews beforehand. :thumbleft

Keep us posted on your study progress!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Dear all

I do apolgise that my 'fool' comments have been taken out of context, and I retract the comment.

Sparky is right though, you should have used support to help you through the beast exam.

Also I don't understand why you paid over £4000 knowing the workshops were included and you didn't need them, I would of gone for a course without the workshops. I have found them very useful, and even though I didn't really need them I made the effort to go as I knew I was paying for them, I also learn't quite a bit as well.

You do get what you pay for this day and age if use the services offered properly. I admit I have never been contacted by NITLC, but like one of you guys said, why would NITLC make work for themselves. If they have over 5000 students on board, it would take 13 years to ring 1 student per day. I always rang them and was extremely happy with the support I recieved.

I am sorry that it hasn't worked out for you Bodie, but don't put all of the blame on the TP, maybe self study was the way forward for you.

MrM

16. bodie37

bodie37 Bit Poster

I did contact NITLC support once and I must admit that they where very helpful. But IMO the salesman mis-sold the way they work. But that is all in the past now as my two years are up. They helped me out when I needed them once so that what counts. Makes Microsoft support look cheap mind :blink (That's a joke by the way)

The decision to outsource support was made at a MD level. As I'm the sole member of IT, external support is needed if I'm ill or on holiday. In fact being the only IT person is a pain and sometime quite lonely.