Study material and Volunteering

Discussion in 'A+' started by afusco86, Mar 27, 2006.

1. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I'm been studying for a while either on Meyer's book and N+S training material.

There's a huge(!) difference between the two and I know that a good tech should go for Meyer's book, but my question is:

#1: Does any of you know if N+S books are enough just to pass the exams?

I'm asking this because I think that studying well Meyer's bible is virtually impossible for me at the mo (I wanna do that anyway, I love that book!!) and also, I have very little hands-on experience. Volunteering it's a great idea but I really don't have the time and can't afford to reduce my paid-work hours.
    BUT, with the certification in hand, my company will be likely to offer me some very entry-level work in the IT department, so that I finally start to practice.

One more question.

#2: What are all the benefits of volunteering, if any, apart from experience?

And also, how much time per week of volunteering do you think could be at least decent?

Please help me out guys,

thanks in advance, this forum is COOOL!! :p

WIP: A+
  2. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

volunteering is good for experience but also great for the CV - shows initiative and willingness to do things i hope!!! i do some volunteering but it is restricted by the hours i work, so some weeks i might do 4 or 5 hours and other weeks none at all. The guys i help out tho realise that they are getting something for nothing so aren;t too demanding.

HTH,

Damo

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

you are helping your fellow man. i think that can be classified as a benefit.

4. Flipside

Flipside Bit Poster

It sounds like you've not a nice arrangement going on there. Hopefully I'll be able to find a place to do something similar soon. I haven't had much success so far.

The Meyer's Certification Passport I orders came into Ottakers today, so I picked it up. I must say I wasn't completely sure of what to expect but as well as being comprehensive (I knew it would be), I also found it surprisingly clear and well laid out.

5. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Credit where credit is due.You are willing to take voluntary work in order to enhance your present skills and get the necessary hands on experience,well done :thumbleft

I was lucky enough to get some voluntary work at a local PC repair shop a while back and have gained invaluable experience from it.Working in a 'live' environment really tests your mettle and makes you apply your knowledge.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  6. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

Thanks for that guys!

I'm gonna start very soon then...

All the best everyone!!!