Study Advice

Discussion in 'A+' started by Rosie1, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

I've been studying for A+ 2003 for about 9 months now using the Thomson A+ Guide and using Transcender and MeasureUp for the past couple months. Getting there slowly but surely (prep test passes twix 90%-100%). Come up occasionally with conflicting information which puts doubt into my mind. The Internet offers some help.

Is it worth purchasing another text book, say Mike Meyers as another alternative?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Rosie

Certifications: A+, CIW foundation
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

its always good to have two books for reference, but if you have questions feel free to post them here...

3. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Thks. It's great to have somewhere to turn. Are you in position to recommend an alternative text book? I've come across both Mike Meyers or Sybex A+ Guide.

The prep tests are good but I'm wondering if they're comprehensive enough. I'm also trying to use the LabSim software, but time is so limited.

Regards conflict, I've come across the Laser printing process as having the 'cleaning' first and I've also had the 'cleaning' as the last. Do models differ?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Rosie

4. Mr.Cheeks

As far as I am aware its Cleaning First.

Clean - Charge - Write to Drum - Apply Developer - Transfer - Fusing

-

Can Charlie Write And Talk French

in regards, to an alternate books, as you have a main book, have you considered MM's Passport or even our own Trip's book

But then im not sure how indepth is the Thompson's book is on the A+ syllabus

5. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

That's great. Thks so much.

The Thomson book is a tome and appears very comprehensive, and maps to the 2003 exams (2006+ out now). Of course, until the exam is taken it's hard to tell if it's completely appropriate.

I'll take your advice on the books and do some homework. Time is running out and I feel almost ready to move on. Thoroughly enjoyed this challenge, but nervous about taking an exam as it has been 20 odd years since the last.

Thks again,

Regards,

Rosie

6. Mr.Cheeks

Good luck on your journey.

7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive never heard of the Thomson guide. Another thing to point out, is to use the transcender sparingly, otherwise you wont be testing yourself, you will just be memorising the answers without realising it. That wont give you a true reading of your progress

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Regards Transcender, I agree. I've reached a point in studying where I need to adjust my regime but how I go about it now (other than the obvious - my weaknesses) I don't know. My thoughts are turned to reading as much as possible and perhaps using the LabSim to concrete the studying, with the odd prep test thrown in.

It is terribly easy to answer habitually with the prep tests. There is so much to remember and I want to keep it fresh so I've mingled this with using the 'study' facility.

Thomson publish the book concerned: A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC by Jean Andrews (www.course.com). It's great for entry level study (albeit a few typos and graphic errors) and Comptia mention it in their suggested study material.

Thx for your advice - much appreciated.

Regards,

Rosie

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

No I haven't. Partially for financial reasons and, secondly, I feel there are still areas of weakness, ie remembering network media, registry, hex and binary conversions. I hope to take the plunge around Feb.

Just wish I was a fly on the wall to know how indepth some of these issues go!

Regards

Rosie

11. Mr.Cheeks

Rosie - bear in mind that if you are planing to do the 2003 objectives, you will need to pass both objectives before end of March next year as they will be retiring. if you do not pass both, by that time, then AFAIK, you are basically *screwed*, and will need to do the 2006 objectives (if you decide to go down that route). That is assuming you are based here in the UK.

12. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Yes, I know. Is it too much to do both exams in one stint, or better to do it in two lots?

I have to confess that I would love to do 2006 but really want to keep this as a sideline/interest and go on to do design and dev.

Rgds,

Rosie

13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Rosie,

It depends on your confidence, if you feel happy to go for both exams on the same day. A few members on here have done it, and passed, I believe.

I did the Hardware and OS within a week of each other, after about 9 months study and hitting 80-90% on the MMAIO tests included with the book.

So if you're hitting 90+ each time, and you know it's through knowledge based and not reading questions by rote, you should be pretty hot to trot!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Thx for the reply. I feel that perhaps there is an element of 'habit' when it comes to answering the prep questions, but I've tried a few other prep tests and seem to do ok.

I would probably go for both. Are the prep questions set out as realistically as the real thing?

Regards

Rosie

15. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  16. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Wasn't aware of this site. Thx very much. I'll give it a go.

Cheers,

Rosie

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF Rosie.

IMHO you should bite the bullet and book the exams now - go for it!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Yeah, I've the same gut feeling. At least, with the 2003 exam retiring it forces the issue. I'll book it asap.

Thx for response, and all the support.

Rgds

Rosie

19. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Book em, I'm sure you'll be fine, I know how hard it can be if you haven't done an exam for some time.

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  20. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Thx. I know cost plays a big part, but if it meant a resit and doing 2006 then so be it. I've really enjoyed this and hope to keep abreast of what's going on with the A+ regardless even though I would like to concentrate on design and dev.

It would be great to hear from anyone who could compare their prep tests to the real thing. I've tried about 4/5 now and notice quite a difference in depth. Common sense, tells me that the more technical, the more appropriate, but in some aspects some may deeper into subjects (more so on networking) than need be.

I've also noticed from looking at a few books that the earlier ones published appear a little more dated than those more recent, albeit they both map to 2003. I guess I cover my head and read both but aim for the latter info rather than the earlier?

Regards,

Rosie