stuck on a routing problem, urgent help plz!!

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by phatboy, Feb 6, 2008.

1. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

Hi
    I have my CCENT exam tomorrow, and have hit a question I just cant work out.

Image Removed - SG

This is the question I have. You will see the top 2 options have been used, and its just the bottom 2. I cant work out which of the address's (left) should go on which of the 2 avaliable routes, and why!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is the only thing that has got me stumped!!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
    WIP: CCNP R&S, CCNA Wireless
  2. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Think 'Subnet' :)

3. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

hi

thanks, but im still pretty confused! I have now got the correct answers from someone, but when he explained it I still didnt get it. he was using wildcard masks, and this isnt something ive needed to learn for the ccent

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

1) What does the explanation say?
    2) You've posted our copyrighted material... I respectfully ask that you remove the link.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

the explantion didnt really provide an answer at all. I can remove it and just retype it in paint, is that acceptable?

6. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

the explanation said that for destinations matching multiple routes, the router chooses the more specific (longer prefix) routes

However that didnt really help me very much!

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

From memory (when I saw the question earlier) the bottom two routes were the same network, but different prefixes. So combined with what you have just said that should sort the ones that appeared to match both.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. BosonMichael

If the content is the same, then no, it wouldn't be acceptable. Reposting content from one of our products basically gives away a portion of our product for free. Put yourself in our shoes. Consider if one person did that for every question in our product... how many products do you think we would sell if the content was freely available?

That said, you can certainly ask for general information about how to subnet.

Sorry for having to play Copyright Police on ya... the alternative is far worse for me.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Look at the networks in your routing table and then look at the IP addresses and how they're subnetted. If your subnetting skills aren't up to snuff (and they'll need to be for the CCNA exam), try this site:

http://www.learntosubnet.com/

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

hi
    I think ive got it cracked now! a mate managed to explain it to me. It wasnt that i didnt know how to subnet, i was looking at it the wrong way

Basically i had to work out the hosts range of the route, and see which address fitted that range, so what hippy said at first was exactly it, although it seemed vague at the time!!

Funnily enough now that i understand it, it seems so obvious!!

And sorry for posting copyrighted content... it didnt even cross my mind when posting it

11. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

thanks for everyone who posted some advise, its much appreciated!

12. BosonMichael

No worries... :) Most people don't realize it, so there's no hard feelings, I promise you. :)

For the record, I tried to find out who wrote that content, cause it's not mine... it seems that those questions were created by Cisco Press's authors, and they use our engine. My ExSim-Max ICND1 content is different. 8)

13. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

I hope your content is better!
    Some of the questions on the simulator either didnt make sense in themselves, or referred to hardware that didnt exist in the diagram!
    Also I got the same question 3 times in 1 test....
    That and spelling mistakes... I'm glad I didnt pay for it (it came with the ICND1 book), or I'd have been annoyed!

14. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

Well, I passed!

Pass mark is 802 / 1000, and I got 922

It also took me just 65 minutes

So I am now very pleased with myself!! And to celebrate, I have ordered the ICND2 book!!

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass. :cheers

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Congrats matey. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  18. BosonMichael

Yeah, I wish Boson had some control over that. Perhaps we can do something for the next revision of the book!

Congrats on passing the exam!!!