Stuck In A Rut, What Course Should I Do ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by paulwilko, Sep 27, 2011.

1. paulwilko

paulwilko Bit Poster

Hi all

I have been in Sales / Account Management for the last 10 years or so.

I have always had an interest in PC's and IT in general and can find my way around things fairly easily as long as it does not get too in depth.

At the age of 40, I think it's now or never to try and change my career, in fact, some of you may think I'm past it anyway :biggrin

Anyway, assuming I am not too late, what is going to be the best qualification to get me started ?
    I am in full time employment, so the course would need to be a part time at college or even better, A home study course ?

Thanks for any help

Paul

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Paul,
    The recommended route is to start with the CompTIA A+, followed by the N+.
    These can be self studied - so no need to shell out your hard earned money for training courses.

The A+ book that I used, and a lot of others on here have used is the Mike Meyers All In One guide, along with these free videos from the Professor Messer site.

Hope this helps & good luck with your studies!

NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

^^ what he said ^^

4. paulwilko

paulwilko Bit Poster

That's great, thx very much, I will look into them

Wats the job situation like in general for noobies to the IT profession ?

5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Check out the basic IT help desk / 1st line jobs. Could be anywhere from 12 - 18 k salary wise.

Wudnt say there are many jobs out there. reed.co.uk etc just do a search on job sites

CompTIA A+ N+ and Microsoft Technology Associate - MCDST or equiv for 2008

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  6. paulwilko

paulwilko Bit Poster

Mind need a 2nd job then Lol

7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Remember you're going from Management to 1st line (bottom of the pile). If you experience up and get training done, you can easily climb the ladder.

Saying all that, I'm in my mid-£20k on a first line role with no IT certifications (well...computer games related degree) just a few years experience and an open mind to learning.

Depends on where you are and how good your negotiations are 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010