Stuck in a Rut –critique mv CV please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by richie3334444, Dec 13, 2015.

1. richie3334444

richie3334444 Bit Poster

Hi all

Stuck in a rut at the moment and looking to move away from my current role however im becoming disillusioned with job searching and I don’t think my CV currently stands up to the Recruiter CV screening. I have been applying for jobs that I would definitely be a match for on skills and experience but a lot of the time receive no response or feedback

I’m sort of stuck in a no mans land where I’m over skilled for 1st line/desktop only support roles however not quite at the stage to walk into a Infrastructure role

All feedback will be greatly appreciated

CV attached

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

“Currently studying towards…” …does my head in as guys I have taken on that had that on their CV never finished the certs. :)

Other than that I thought the CV was good mate...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Can't seem to view it..but maybe its your cover letter letting you down?

4. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

Hiya.... first section....I would replace this "Currently undertaking private study to secure the MCSA 2012 certification" with "currently on track to gain MCSA Server 2012 certification to supplement my current Microsoft certifications".

Replace "Duties include supporting a massive range of applications" with "Duties include supporting an extensive varietyof applications". Massive is not the word to use !

In the certifications section big it up a bit more (take the exam numbers out)..... above the list put...

Microsoft Certifications....

Sept 2015 Microsoft Certified Professional in Administrating Windows Server 2012

June 2015 Microsoft Certified Professional in Installing and configuring Windows server 2012

June 2014 Microsoft Certified Professional in Windows Server 2008 Server administrator

December 2012 Microsoft Certified IT Professional in Windows 7: Enterprise Desktop Support technician

CV looks fine otherwise although play around with different fonts. Not sure the one you've chosen is the most attractive one.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation
  5. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

I'd knock the <small business name here> entry down to a one liner, and maybe downgrade the title from Project Manager.

When you were 1st line, I imagine you owned calls from the time they were initially logged through to a successful conclusion, and I don't doubt that you "maintained communication with the end user throughout"?
    The SLA's were probably strict rather than demanding.

The list of technologies for your current role might usefully include some indication of what you do with them. Especially so if you do anything interesting in EV and SCCM.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

One final thing, it's Xmas and no one really seriously hires now, I have spent time looking for work around this time of the year and it starts to slow down from November to March (run up to Xmas and then the new budget kicking off at the end of March).

One tip I always use when applying for roles with agencies is to always send over the CV and then follow it up with the agent straight away, what a lot of people don't understand is that agents can get hundreds of CV's in their mailbox, you're just one of that hundred. However if you speak to them, discuss what it is you've done etc then you stick in their minds and you stand a better chance of being put forward than if you're just another number.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. richie3334444

richie3334444 Bit Poster

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like it will be the middle of january now before i get any more chances to secure a new role

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  8. richie3334444

richie3334444 Bit Poster

anymore tips for me guys?

cheers