Stub Zone

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by zimbo, Jan 21, 2007.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I got a main DNS Server for contoso.local ..all simple.. that DNS server also host a stub zone for another domain name certforums.local. Now stub zones just contain the records of the DNS server of the domain (in my case it will contain the NS records for certforums.local)... now if i add a another DNS server to certforums.local does the stub zone in contoso.local get updated automatically or do you have to recreate the whole stub zone? :blink

any ideas guys?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Would the second server be running an AD integrated zone?

If the two main DNS servers are running AD integrated zones then there should be no problem as both servers will be equal. If however the 'new' zone is simply a secondary zone then there should be no reason to make changes to the Stub zone since it only points to the DNS server that is Authorative for the domain.

Actually, I have no idea what I'm on about. I just re read your question and got lost somewhere! :oops:

3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

zimbo,

When you say "... now if i add a another DNS server to certforums.local..." are you talking about adding a secondary zone DNS server for certforums.local or a primary zone DNS server for a child domain of certforums.local?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. Crito

Crito Banned

I thought that was the whole point of the stub zone, to keep the parent domain updated automatically. Otherwise, if you're going to manually create the records, might as well use a conditional forwarder instead.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  5. Crito

Crito Banned

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though. Not claiming to be a DNS or AD (LDAP) expert, as I personally consider both to be two of the worst database designs in the history of computer science. :ohmy

OO programmers shouldn't be let anywhere near a database, IMHO. Or to quote a few other people:

"OO was great for programming but deadly for data." -- Bjarne Stroustrup

"..queries that would have been so easy in a relational model are now multitable monster outer joins." -- Joe Celko

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ok i was half asleep at 3am.. im talking about Stub zone updates

also its a secondary sever for certforums.local... the issue im trying to figure out is, when i created this stub zone only one DNS server existed for certforums.local - now if a second DNS server was to be added for redundancy would its records automatically appear in the stub zone or what?

thanks so far for the input!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think it would appear automatically as the serial number of the master zone would change after you have added the new DC (when compared to the stub zone). The stub zone would then transfer from the master and now the records would update and the serial numbers would now match. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs