Struggling

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by fsimeta, Nov 12, 2006.

1. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Hi all,

Just a question, how long did it take you peeps with the A+ and Networking+ Qualifications to get through them? I've only been at it 2 months and I think I'm being hard on myself thinking that I should be moving faster! Just wondering what kind of timescale I should be looking at. I'm with NITLC doing the MCSE track and the later books look less daunting than the A+ itself :)

So should I just slow down, relax and take more time, or rush to get a crappy score? (I think this is what you call rhetorical :P)

But seriously, just need to know. Thanks for any replies in advance.

Fsi

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+
    WIP: MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Everyone is different; i assume you are learning this new technology from scratch?

The A+ covers a very broad range of topics, albeit not in depth.
    The bottom line is, to master most things you need to live and breath them. The more you can put in the quicker you will learn.

Best of luck :thumbleft

Oh, i took the A+ over a year. I spent a few hours a week on the course. To be honest, i was probably <ready> for the exams sooner than I took them but was in no rush!
    I had a small break and then knuckled down with the N+ which took me 4-5 months.
    Both A and N+ are excellent foundations for the 270 by the way.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Thanks for the reply, I've got a bit of knowledge, but seem to get stuck on the simplest of questions, yet I had a question about an external modem's commands which I couldn't find anywhere in the book! So I've tried to build a mindmap for my studies and see if that helps. To be honest, seems to be working :) Guess it's best just to get on with it and make sure you keep getting reasonable scores and don't go for the exam until you're absolutely ready.

As far as I can see, the course (MCSA/SE) seems to start to focus exclusively on Windows software after A+ and N+, which can't be too much of a bad thing...I hope :rolleyes:

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Don't worry about getting stuck, ask away!

You can read up on Modem commands here

Comptia are vendor neutral. i.e they don't focus on MS, Unix, Linux, Mac but the technologies that are in place to make them all tick.

The start through end of MCSE will be welcome to the MS world!

Good luck :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Great! :) Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

6. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

I'm not sure if modem commands are on the A+ anymore. I might be wrong though.

Make sure that your study material is bang up to date. The exam is about to change and has, in fact, changed in some areas already I think. So make sure you know the exam objectives which you can find on CompTIA's website here
    and make sure your book(s) and any other study guides are covering this latest exam.

Good luck:thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+, ITIL v3, 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  7. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Thanks Kerfuffle, I think the UK 2006 objectives don't start until March next year, the US ones I believe are in December (well, that's what my tutor told me ;) and here http://certification.comptia.org/a/New_A_Calendar.aspx so I should be ready for my exam before then (I hope). Actually, I'm scoring much higher now I've finished my mindmap :) Going to make absolutely sure though before I take it, not wasting money :blink

8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Modem commands are still on the old exams, i had one when i done my HW in Aug mate

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house