struggling with first attempt at comptia a+

Discussion in 'A+' started by CareerChange, Oct 8, 2019.

1. CareerChange

CareerChange Bit Poster

im really struggling, spent the the last 2 weeks watching loads of online videos from the usual guys, just did an online ram quiz from examcompass and was woeful. although i do think the actual comptia exam will word the questions differently.
    just started taking notes on what i've learnt. Whilst i don't think the content is too advanced for me there is a very large volume of knowledge required.
    so far i have only been studying 220 - 1001

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What other material (books etc.) are you using mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Office 365, Server 2016, CEH
  3. CareerChange

CareerChange Bit Poster

i dont have any books.
    im just googling topics after ive watched videos.
    Have you anything on PDF, is that where i am going wrong?

4. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. CareerChange

CareerChange Bit Poster

Thanks Kopite,

As mentioned i have gone through his videos. I would probably like a book/PDF to read. Got any PDF links, struggling to find one, just spam so far.

Thanks

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Office 365, Server 2016, CEH
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator

Top Poster
    of the Month

Don't lose confidence, you will pass this exam. It does sound like there's a bit more you could do to make it easier for yourself as the others have mentioned. A good book is the common theme I've seen when people attempt the A+

Certifications: VCP4, VCP5, VCP6, VCP6.5, VMConAWS Skill, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: VCAP 6.5 DCV (Design)
    shahlapirnia likes this.
  8. shahlapirnia

shahlapirnia New Member

The following are a few resources you can consider:

- CertBlaster provides free notes on its website for your exam:
    Click on the Menu. Choose Learning. Choose Exam Notes for A+ 1001 and 1002.

- Udemy has a practice tests course by Jason Dion for 1001.

- The paperback edition of Exam Cram by David Prowse is a good option.

- Professor Messer has course notes which you can purchase.

- Professor Messer holds free live and recorded study groups for your exam.

Good luck with your studies!

Certifications: ITF+, A+
    WIP: Network+
    JK2447 likes this.
  9. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Gigabyte Poster

You know what mught help you. Binning the study off for a few days/hours. When you get back into it, try the reading a book with some decent tunes on, whatever takes your fancy. I find where I work, I can isolate the noise, I get so much done, basically on Friday, i blitzed through 3 days worth of sticking problems, well that and black coffee ha ha

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  10. CareerChange

CareerChange Bit Poster

i took a few days off then i brought mike myers book 1001-1002 but its really not helping, his videos were good but im not rating this book.
    done a few more practice tests, im not doing great 45% at best.
    Im learning stuff but when it comes the test exam im flopping. i dont think classroom courses is the answer, how much am i gonna learn in 4 days of classroom teaching which cost £1,000.
    powercert vids seems the best, even proffessor messer is just concise for me, im having to go over most of his stuff. dion training videos were decent but im struggling, i thought i could pass these exams 1 month at a time, im not even sure 3months will do it. im out of work and just studying most of the day

11. shahlapirnia

shahlapirnia New Member

@CareerChange

Did you try reading through the free online notes on CertBlaster.com?

certblaster.com/examnotes-for-comptia-a-220-1001-core-1

12. CareerChange

CareerChange Bit Poster

yes i have been doing that, im using lots of resources, prehap's too many if thats possible?
    usually go through cert blaster, then professor messer then powercert then i google some stuff and read the mike myers book, i already done his videos and im making notes, brought a notebook, my notes looks ok but then i go to practice exams and im just miles off.
    my last role dice is to sign up for certblaster they say guarantee pass or money back not sure how thats possible, was looking for some reviews on that

13. shahlapirnia

shahlapirnia New Member

@CareerChange

There are several practice test sites that offer a money back guarantee.

You will want to read the fine print carefully on each one of the sites. There are requirements that must be fulfilled before you’ll qualify for that money back guarantee. These are the 3 vendors that are well known.

- CertBlaster
    - MeasureUp
    - Boson

You might also want to look into TestOut.com and uCertify.com.

TestOut and uCertify have integrated comprehensive preparation material. Both have simulated labs, videos, written material and practice exams. I recommend both vendors!

As for books, there is also the Exam Cram book.

Here is a list of vendors I have compiled for CompTIA certification preparation.

upload_2019-10-24_9-14-43.png

Good luck with your studies and exams!

Please let us know how it goes!

14. CareerChange

CareerChange Bit Poster

thanks for your advise, think i might pause from 1001 and start studying 1002, things might fall in place better hopefully

shahlapirnia likes this.
  15. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

The problem is not with the resources. This is the most widely studied IT certification, if everyone's recommending things and you don't like them, then what is the common denominator?

16. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

A+ is quite a lot of content, you are definitely going to have to take notes, what is your motivation for taking this exam? If you live in the UK and are simply trying to get into the field I wouldn’t bother with the A+ tbh, worth knowing some of the content but realistically when are you going to really need to know how many pins are on a DDR3 stick of RAM?? Better of getting some form of Microsoft Windows certificate IMO.

Savage

17. CareerChange

CareerChange Bit Poster

yes im in the UK/London. My motivation is to get a job in IT, entry level helpdesk. Whilst I dont expect to A+ alone to do it, i think this would be a minimum, if i could get the A+ id look to do Windows 10 next. To be honest i looked at alot of IT training course packages and most have A+ in them, but i do agree i dont think A+ content is particularly relevant.

18. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Ok firstly do not pay for any type of training course, they are not worth it and the materials they give you are purchased from a third party that distributes its content to thousands of other “training providers”, the provider will then slap their name on the training material and charge you £5000 total scam IMO.

Have a look into picking up an MTA or two, thats how I got into IT:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mta-certification.aspx

The A+ material is good to know but its not a pass into IT (I believe it can be a requirement for certain roles in the US). What job do you currently do now?

19. CareerChange

CareerChange Bit Poster

im out of work, ive done some data entry, and general office work along with some customer service.

which certificate did you do to get in?

20. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

MTA Windows OS fundamentals, which has been replaced with a new exam I believe.. have a look at the link I sent.