Struggling to find an IT job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Come_On_You_Irons, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Come_On_You_Irons

Come_On_You_Irons Bit Poster

Hi all, some weeks ago I asked for help regarding an interview, well sadly I didnt get the job:- I was told that I had a good interview but they would welcome the chance to have a look at me again when I had helpdesk experience. But how can I get experience if nobody will give me a chance.

My confidence has gone and I can only find jobs that I clearly am not qualified to do at moment, and I am now doubting whether my CV will get me an interview etc etc.

HELP!!!!

Certifications: A+, Network+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate - sorry to hear bout not getting the job...

unfortuanetly, there are loads of people in the same position as you, cant get a job cuz they have no experience, and cant get experience cuz they have no job, it goes around in circles and is a right bit*h!

have your tried looking for voluntary work? look through your local newspapers for anything, some members here got job via voluntary...

As Noel would say... "Chin up son!"

3. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

I know a place where you would get a job straight away; it starts on 13k and is doing a helpdesk role for DSG customers. I spent 5 years there and worked my way up to consultant (flash name for basically 2nd level support, well at least at that place it was) that role was on 18k so there is scope for progression. You would have to move in commuting distance of Nottingham. I left this summer as I had had enough. I am not joking when I tell you they take on anyone...examples...50 yr old truck driver who has never used a pc before, 35 yr old women who has used a pc to check basic email, 20 yr old fresh from school/college...my point is they take all people from all walks of life, they give you about 4-8 weeks training.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

is the customer support any good?

5. Come_On_You_Irons

Cheers for suggestions guys, but I have recently brought my first house with girlfriend so cant really afford to be out of work doing voluntary work(which is a shame cos I understand that it would give me the experience I need). and as far as moving to Nottingham goes, as I said moving may be difficult after only just moving in and halfway through doin work on the place.

6. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

It depends, the support I provided while there was good, I always took time to help customers, trying to understand the problem from there point of view and give them advice on how to prevent it happening again. I really enjoyed that job for first 3 years, after that I was doing 2nd level support and a lot of off the phone stuff/ managment stuff which I didnt really enjoy.

7. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

One of the guys I worked with there travelled in from birmingham, I think it took him about an hour or so.

back in summer 01 I worked in Telford repaiing Dell laptops for a repair outfit called celestica, not sure if they are still going but might be worth looking into.

8. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

I completely agree with TheCheekMaster - I have seen many IT folk start off from doing some kind of volunteer work. This does not mean giving up your day job in anyway. If you contact your local council they will be able to give you details of local disability groups/charities who may (will!!) need weekend/evening help with their systems.

If you are able to it you will be helping yourself and others....whats good for the conscience could well be good for the pocket! :D

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  9. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I think they've mainly pulled out of the UK now, think they still have a couple of places about.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Your main problem may not be a lack of experience - it may well be that you support a rubbish football team...

:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Seriously - I sympathise with you. I've worked with a lot of first line guys who said they were in exactly the same position as you for a while. I know it sounds like platitudes, but keep a positive attitude, you're much more likely to find a role if you do (and not to blow it when you land an interview - the last thing employers want for a helpdesk is someone who looks like they've lost hope!)

The advise on doing voluntary work in the evenings is great. Charities are often extremely strapped for cash - going around and asking them if they want a load of old machines reimaged at night, or their closet repatching, or a load of desktops clearing of spyware would be a good start. Have a look for some charities with offices/branches near you and fire off a few letters.

Most of all - chin up!

PS: Tevez and Mascherano will last two months tops before they get homesick. Neither of them are as good as they think they are either :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Stick in there m8 and maybe sommat will come along.. it did for me

And i hope that email i sent ya helps!

I've only been in East anglia 2 years and looking for IT fer 1 of those. But i did finally get some work even tho it was temp. SOmetime i wished i stayed in wales as the oppertunities there would have been a lil better (might have had Boyces job :) ) but dems da breaks!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  13. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

hey there, u might have to look for level 1 help desk analyst role, mainly entry level, or even at the starting try getting into any call centre, doesnt matter even if its telemarketing as that might help u build your customer service skills or prepare u atleast for something to be familiar with phone support

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  14. JC

JC Bit Poster

It's just a numbers game, try to apply a strategy to your searching, consider the business types in your area, review their websites and tune your CV for the company you send it to.

What ever you do don't get disillusioned there is nothing personal about an hour long interview, believe me they can't tell all that much about a person in that time especially when you have no previous experience, try to use any pervious part time jobs or previous work exp to demonstrate your potential. Remember that you CV is one of 90 or so they may be looking at. Try to think of it as more perfecting your approach. You will be successful but nothing worth while comes easily.

Best of luck for the next interview.

Certifications: 70 290
    WIP: MCITP
  15. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Could you give me some more info about this please? I am in Notts, just finished an HND at college and am looking for a job.

Certifications: HND
  16. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

If you look at a lot of helpdesk/entry level jobs you'll see they put a big emphasis on things like customer facing skills, teamwork, thinking on your feet etc.

Do you have any experience in customer facing roles you can emphasise? What about teamwork and general business awareness?

Have a read of these sites:

http://www.helpdesksurvival.com/sitemap.html

http://www.helpdesksurvival.com/HelpdeskSLA.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Level_Agreement

In all the interviews I've had there has been as much if not more emphasis on the ability to 'get the job done' as well as technical knowhow.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  17. Come_On_You_Irons

Hi all, havent posted for a while. But I now have a 3 month contract working on a IT heldesk for the NHS.

18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :morebeer

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Excellent! Did you get this via an agency?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  20. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Wouldnt be at Hinchingbrooke would it?? If so say hello to the guys there, Barry and Darren

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,