Stress!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, May 2, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not good.

Tough few days in front of me. I’ve been involved heavily in a migration project at work and the client is complaining about the standard of the whole project.

Basically the client is complaining that the new network is ‘slow’ compared to the old one which is bull$hit. There are other problems which have been created by other companies but they are trying to push the blame onto me because they can’t fix their own problems. The phone guy blames the network for his phone system not working and the software developer blames me for not setting up a domain trust for his database application not working. I’ve explained that you can’t trust a domain and a workgroup but I might as well be talking to a brick wall.

I’m slightly hacked off as I was happy with the way the migration had gone. All the profiles were migrated and the users experienced no ‘down time’ as everything major was done out of hours. I even migrated some crappy third party applications; it’s amazing what files you can find in a user profile! I even changed some of the code in another application which was hard coded to an old server name and I’m not even a software developer. :mad

I spoke to the consultant who put us in touch with the client and he said he (the client) has taken legal action against pretty much every IT company that has been involved with the network over the past 5 years. I thought something was up as when I first saw the network as it kinda looked disjointed and had inconsistent naming conventions.

Anyways the thing that pi$$es me off the most is that my ability to do the job is being questioned when I feel I haven’t done anything wrong and have worked extra hours to make sure the migration has not been a disruption to the end users. I don’t know why I bothered now; I could have migrated servers during the day and just said ‘tough’ :blink

Rant over, has anyone else been in a situation like this and if so how did it work out?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Beer? :slidedrin

3. Sparky

Beer is always the answer! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

If there's one thing that grates my boat it's ungreatful users and co-workers!

You bust your gut to ensure things go smoothly but there's always a problem........ah!!

Know how you feel mate.... chin up! :D :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  5. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

It’s a no love industry!

Our network downtime is minimal as if we need to do any server work, maintenance, hardware upgrades etc we come in over the weekend or stay late at night to do it. This isn’t paid but as a team we gladly do it as this is our profession and it is our job to keep the network users up and running.

When we do inform users that we are taking the network down for some reason or other the place goes berserk, as if we have just committed a crime. “Dead lines have to be made…” “Payments are due… oh god why now???”

Thing that annoys me the most is when I walk around the offices I see everyone on the internet all day or playing solitaire. They never do anything and I honestly believe some of them wait until we cause them problems so they have excuses.

The amount of times I hear telephone conversations go like this “Yes sorry sir I understand that we promised you payment last week but the computers have been down… I know its always like this…”

My other favourite is when people are talking about cut backs at the company and they say “Get rid of IT, they don’t do anything… the computers hardly go wrong do they” – Always contradicting themselves at our place!

Never mind mate I know exactly were you are coming from and so will plenty of others. I have had project migrations and the first thing anyone says (and I have written it down before they say it) is “Can you put the old system back in, I preferred it…”

Users whine all the time for ‘new super systems’ but they also don’t like change.

In fact all the users care about here is if they get a flat screen.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  6. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

This is how I hear it from my users...

"This system sucks"

"Dont change (improve) the system, it's bad enough as it is."

"This new (faster, more reliable) system sucks, the old one was great."

And round and round we go... :rolleyes:

Like ungrateful children.

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Chin up Spark! Sounds like an awkward client to me...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

:tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Life, the universe and everything? :blink

By the way did you know the answer was [HIDE]what's 6x8? So the universe is fundamentally f*cked[/HIDE] ? :biggrin

J.

10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

whats 42?

i can think of is

4q ...to the client that is

11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Actually the question was 6x9 (as pulled out froma bag of scrabble letters). Which goes to show that the universe is more screwed than you thought....

As for days like yours Sparky, we all get em. I remeber having a guy tell me he needed his PC and couldnt afford the downtime ittook to fix it.. Yet i caught him an hour later playing spider solitaire... hour after that he was still at it!!!

Its life.. but not as we know it captain!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  12. Sparky

Thanks for the words of encouragement lads. Had a meeting with the client today and took the MD as well for backup!

We came to the agreement that the network migration has been completed to the specified contract and performance issues relate to a poorly coded in-house application (we had to get a third party company in to assess the application). One more server to install from scratch and then I’m outta there!

Some of your comments sound familiar about end users, especially how they are outraged when a server has to be rebooted during the day! What I do is walk into the room (where all the users are) and say I’m going to reboot the server in 15 minutes so everybody can save all their documents etc, after taking all the usual comments I leg it to the safety of the server room.

Then what do I do?

Reboot the server after 5 minutes!! :tongue

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I like your style mate. :thumbleft

Better yet you could just open the server room door and yell it out. Watch them run then.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Gotta love server room doors where the users cant get in........ safety!! :twisted:

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  15. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

hehehe our server room is the most secure room in the school. Only people with the door tags things can get in, and that's only a few. Got to keep the riff raff out of the serveer room, where else can you boil a brew in private. 8)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  16. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

and if there's a power cut, you have the UPS to buil the kettle...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  17. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

LMAO, we're not even allowed paper in our server room, we'd be strung up by the goolies for drinking a brew.

Our server room is so secure, not even Security can get in which is a little puzzling in my mind but that's the way of the world.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  18. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

which means nobody could stop you making the tea!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Apologies to everyone.
    I haven't read every post.

But clients are b@st@rds.
    They don't know what they want, or when they want it.

Then it's you're fault when it's wrong.

Life, don't talk to me about life...

It's the same for everyone mate, that's why we document EVERYTHING, so we can look back with a puzzled expression and say 'oh, this looks like a NEW requirement...'

Hardest part of the game. Need to be an IT pro and a diplomat!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  20. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

See my Avatar, Jonny.

Brain the size of a planet... :rolleyes:

J.