strange wireless probs

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Mr.Cheeks, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i have a very strange wireless problems, its that strange i can not see no logic behind why it happens for, not even a vague idea, cuz its :blink

BT ADSL modem router connects to Hub + Linksys Wireless router

modem assignes DHCP
    Wireless is just wireless no routing

Connections to Hub =
    3 pc
    out of 3 pc's one is almost on 24/7 (server)

Now this is the strange part, when using my wireless, if i shut down my server my wireless still has a connect, the packets are still flowing (i think, according to the network connections box) but the website just times out.

any ideas?

saying that, i have not tried pinging or tracerting the site when my connection dies..

2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Are you sure you're not connecting to the server through ICS?

Also, it's probably not related but how many devices are running DHCP? The way I see it, you have at least three potential DHCP servers, it might be worth making sure they are not all conflicting with one another.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Mr.Cheeks

i think someone must of hacked my network in all honesty, but who :blink (only if they left a name and their contact numbers, i'll show them hacking, i'll hack their bleeding balls off!)

the reason i say this is becuase, static ips.

those three address are always the same on my computer for the 3 pcs, then i have another nodes like laptop x 2, xbox, and then pda, then you can add like 5 virtual machines.

but according to my DHCP log on my modem, the address goes up to
    192.168.254.239, and almost all of them have expired and have name_unknown next to them...

i checked grc.com and it all seems to be good, firewall enabled (XP) and hardware, have a few ports open *only torrent ones, not the default ports though

:rolleyes:

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

TCM if you have set up your server as a domain controller, then it will be acting as a local DNS server and it should be configured to forward external DNS requests to your ISP or other Internet based DNS servers.

If this is the case, when you shut down your server (DC) you have lost DNS, you need DNS in order to resolve host names and FQDN (fully qualified domain names) to IP addreses.

This issue is by design :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Mr.Cheeks

mate this problem happend before i even done my server (physical machine) and i think it was last week when i set my server up
    (before it was just XP Pro running 24/7). i have had this issue for months now... so i dont think that was the problem? do you? :blink even if the computers are not connected to the domain?

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If it's going to help you sleep just remember that those IP addresses (192.168.x.x) are all in the *private* range and hence are non routable on Internet routers.

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Are you running VMWare or Virtual PC. I thought the same then realised that VM was running and using ip addys on my router

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Mr.Cheeks

i know, thats why i aint really too fussed - thats done by NAT?

@ AJ - Nope, im not using VPC in this, well not in this instance... edit: you might have a point there, but surely it wouldn't use all of the ip's would it?

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cheek,

what I.Ps does your modem give out?

I would be surprised if it can be configured to hand out your server as the DNS I.P, in most cases the scope has the modem as the gateway (correct) and also the DNS (not good!) :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Mr.Cheeks

Would this help

[​IMG]

or would it be due to the fact that under ipconfig /all

Code:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ****-219CKVFD
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : ****.brm.pri
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ****brm.pri
                                                ****.gov.uk
                                                ****.gov.uk

its searching those blanked out items first?

still, would of thought it would of affected my hardwire connection aswell

Cheers...

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes NAT (network address translation) which does offer you some firewall like protection.

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

True - also if you look at his ip config pic there are WINS server addreses in there which have local 10.x.x.x addreses wtf :blink

13. Mr.Cheeks

so what does that mean?

edit: just to add at the moment, im using my works laptop

14. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Are you connecting to both wireless and LAN through one machine (eg: laptop)? If you connect to LAN and then turn on wireless you will get a new IP assigned to the wireless connection that will show up as 'host unknown' in the DHCP server.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  15. Mr.Cheeks

nope, its either "on" or "off", actually, there probabaly been a few times that i may have jacked in the cable on not realised the wireless was on, but not that many times :blink

16. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

In the DHCP Snapin, in the list of IP addresses are the icons that erpresent a PC different for the ip's that have UNKOWN_HOSTNAME?

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  17. Mr.Cheeks

the DCHP details i gave where from my router at home, if your referring to the domain at work, then i have not got access to that :rolleyes:

18. Mr.Cheeks

Chaps - according to my bro, the internet times out aswell on his pc (hardwired), so im am assuming it may be down to the hub itself...

the reason i say this is because;

both laptop and pc seems to getting the same error "timeout" on web pages, pressing F5 or closing and opening a new browser seems to fix it... but the network is always up? so it cant be down to the hub, it should be down to the modem, cuz its probably having trouble sending/recieving the packets somewhere... firewall? cant see why it would be that.

so realistically, i should replace my modem, and see if this resolves the problem, if it does, brill, if not, replace the hub, and see if that resolves the problem?

What you guys think?

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think you should update the modems firmware first, if possible!

20. Mr.Cheeks

Thats been done.