Strange Situation ...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Modey, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

As part of my job, I work a few hours each week at a High School (IT Support) and they are currently advertising for a trainee IT technician. No experience required, just to fit in well, entry level pay. So ideal for say someone's 1st job who is looking to get on the bottom rung of IT work.

So I was chatting with the Senior IT Tech there the other day and he showed me some of the CV's that have come through since the job had been advertised, and I've got to say I was quite shocked.

The first two I saw both had Degree's, one in business and one in IT, both with a few years helpdesk experience and one even had an MCSE and one had a MS programming cert. Oh, and they both apparently are in jobs at a local insurance firm, so would be taking pay cuts to go for this job as well ...

I was quite dumbfounded that these people had applied for such a junior position.

The only thing I can thing of is that they are both 1. Total liar's or 2. Telling the truth and are lunatics ...

They would be working under myself and the other Senior tech and there is no way they would even get an interview having sent in CV's like that since they were both stunningly overqualified.

Just a bizzare situation, it's like a qualified Doctor applying at a hospital to mop the floors ... Ok so maybe not that extreme, but not far off. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I've seen the exact same thing in the past...I would love to hear anybody else's view on this!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Quality of life?
    Some IT jobs can be quite demanding and maybe a quiet life in a small department is appealing? You never know.
    For a while I was self employed as a Web designer. I never advertised for help, but I used to get loads of people applying for work - all really highly qualified.
    A lot of them were from India/Sri-Lanka and had about three degrees and oodles of qualifications.
    Like you say, either complete liars or their education system works a bit differently to ours...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. seanmoss

seanmoss New Member

i think the word high school may have something to do with it lol. do a CRB check

Certifications: comptia + mcitp network security c & g 3
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I went from a more senior, well paying job in a bank, to a lower paid consultant job at Microsoft.

And it was the best thing I could have ever done in my life. YMMV.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

We've got a guy in one of or european offices doing 1st line support.

He has an MCSA and an MCSE - however, this doesn't reflect at all on his skills.

Could be easy to get the qualification, but practicing the skills isn't quite as easy, hence why he may be in the job he is now.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Eh?

Oh and this post was from 6+ years ago ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I think what he is trying to say is the reason they were willing to take the drop was the opportunity to work in a school...

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Schools do enhanced crb anyway.

Chances are their current salarys are rubbish anyway or they just want to get out of the private sector.

Also they may be thinking of teaching and want to get some prior experiance to see if its the right decision?

Or what are the holidays like?

But if the above reasons don't count it is a bit mad to be moving to a lower teched school job.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Schools also do the List 99.

Holidays? Well we're full time, so we get the same amount of holiday as people in other sectors.

And as for a lower teched school job? Far from it, we have 20+ servers some physical, most virtual. We support 1300+ users, approx 674 PC's, laptops and thin clients, as well as audio visual (projectors and interactive boards) and a vast array of software just at our site.

We also support 4 other organisations (including a national engineering firm). Apart from that we're a Certiport and Prometric testing centre and we provided Microsoft training to IT Techs in the education sector in our county.

And as for "teaching", the IT Services department is not a teaching department, if they want to see if teaching is for them, they should be applying for a teaching assistant or a classroom supervisor position not a IT Tech post.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

To be fair, two years ago I'd take a cut for an opportunity like this :biggrin

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  12. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Well maybe this one is term time only? I infered lower teched job as its a basic first line position being offered. Working in a school would mean exposure to schoo life. Certainly in my experiance working in 4 different schools (one certiport) I saw a few people take up science tech and art/cdt tech positions for experiance before pursuing teaching.

Forget some of the above if your in the same place.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  13. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Be funny if someone got that job a few years ago and is now master of the universe so to speak ha

Cracked me up the way this was from years ago tho because you just expect it to be a new thread most of the time :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Jiser likes this.
  14. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Probably some sort of high flying consultant for Microsoft