Strange CPU Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rax, Aug 20, 2007.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hi guys

I noticed last night that my CPU Temps are running pretty high and I can't figure out why.

My PC is:
    Gigabyte 965 DS3
    Intel 6400 (stock 2.13) + Vanessa Titan Heatsink
    OCZ 2gb DDR2 pc6400 ram
    7800gt

When I first built it in December my Core temps used to be 30C at stock and scaled normally as I clocked the CPU up.

I later removed the overclock due to stability reasons and I have just decided to try again.

Currently Core Temp and Everest say my temps are Core #1 52C and #2 48C - this is clocked to 2.4ghz with 1.4 on Vcore. On stock they are only a tiny bit lower, maybe 45 lowest with 2.13ghz and 1.325 Vcore.

In the bios it says @ stock my temps are ~30C and with 1.4 Vcore ~40C. This would seem to be the ideal temp for the voltage settings, however, I noticed in Everest that the CPU temp is 37C-40C while Core #1 52C and #2 54C with 1.4Vcore.

So it seems like Bios is showing the over-all CPU temp while Core Temp was showing the Individual core temps..

Really unsure what me be causing this..

I removed my heatsink earlier and replaced the thermal paste.

Any ideas anyone? :huh

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

you will get different readings from different software.

Edit: in reply. i used several different software temp programs as my e6600 was running really hot. no 2 were the same so i just decided to use TAT and made sure i was using the most up to date bios. i lapped the the heat sink and cpu as the corners were way out causing a slight void between them. mine runs stock at 46'c/47'c idle

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

That was a pretty poor reply, neither informative, knowledgeable or helpful.

Had you read my post correctly you would see that I had used 2 different software programs, both of which are highly rated by overclockers.

The problem isn't with the software, it's with the temperatures of my CPU Cores.

I don't intend this reply to seem nasty but from where I'm standing it just seemed you are trying to make a quick and smart answer without giving much thought about the problem.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am assuming you are using a stock heatsink fan?

There has been reports in the past the some motherboards dont report the correct cpu temps. Usually when you overclock you want to have a better third party heatsink and fan.

Try the Speedfan and see if it gives you a different reading but I doubt because I think the reading gets picked up from the bios.

Give it a shot anyways.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Nah, I'm using a Vanessa Titan Heatsink Fan.. :rolleyes:

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The only other thing I could think of for the accuracy of the temp reading is one of those decks that have a small thermometer cable that goes under the cpu. I am sure you know what I am talking about.

Also what is the stock cpu vcore? you said at the moment it is 1.4v overclocked. If you lower the vcore to lets say 1.375 would that cause instabilities?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

In device manager go to the performance tab, what is the CPU usage? If idle is should be around 0-5%

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

The Vcore on stock is 1.325, this makes the Core Temps ~45C lowest, though they used to be ~30C with that. :blink

Yea it might be worth trying one of them, one of my friends suggested it earlier.

9. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

0-2% idle

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well at least you know Windows isnt eating your CPU :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Also there is no dust on the fan or anything like that?

One more thing, have you tried reapplying the thermal paste? unless its a thermal pad.

12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

No, it's currently running at 300FSB with MCH 0.2. The Vcore setting on 1.4 is only for monitoring CPU temp purposes, it's quite stable on 1.325 but still with high temps.

13. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea, I removed the fan today, cleaned it out with compressed air, removed old thermal paste and added new stuff

14. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea... that's something I s'pose :D

15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

ok So we know the cpu fan, heatsink, and cpu have been cleaned. The system is not eating up your cpu. How about the air flow in the case?

Do you have many fans inside? are there any cables in front of the cpu heatsink?

Reason I am asking is because certain modifications like fans, extra components like HD, DVD drives, etc can produce more heat or change the airflow of the case but I am sure you already knew that just checking to be certain.

16. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Currently using the Soprano case, it has a front case fan, side panel fan and the rear fan.

The titan fan doesn't face out from the cpu like stock intel ones, it faces to the side which you can position to face to your choice. I have it facing to the rear case fan right now. :rolleyes:

17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Ok so from what I understand you got air coming in from the front and air coming out of the back?

18. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Ye.. With this same setup before (changed nothing) my Core temps were fine, don't know why it's changed :rolleyes:

19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

what about your psu, what is the voltage?

20. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

iirc 600w had it for over a year and a half now so kinda forgot :oops: