strange connection drop

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by shaggy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

A customer of mine has recently started experiencing random disconnection from the internet, this can be while doing anything from checking emails to downloading podcasts, so this (i think) eliminates any idle connection problems

i pinged a few sites and used tracert and i got a 25% packet drop, so changed the ethernet cable over and (so far) have no reports of packet loss or any asterix' using tracert

but the problem still persists, i even rang virgin for her and they are insistant that its something wrong with my end, specifically to do with the browser, IE.

since then the computer has been formatted and XP re-installed, yet again the problem persists, have disabled firewalls also.

ran spyware and virus checks, all clean

am going back this week to install a new cd drive so just wondered what else i can try to resolve the problem as im stumped

while i was using the interent i experienced none of the problems she said were happening, which made it a little hard to diagnose specifically

any help much appreciated

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeeeeeah, IE is making the Internet connection disconnect? Riiiight. Time to call Virgin's support line again, ask for a supervisor, and tell them what rubbish their techs are trying to feed their customers. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ISPs will always say its your end not ours, do what BM said and get a supervisor then tell them your customer is getting a sh** service and they wanted sorted ASAP

And dont take any BS like its the quality of your line crap because if it worked ok before then its their issue

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How is the user connecting to the internet? ASDL? May be an issue with the modem or the microfilter.

Is the user actually being disconnected? Try pinging something by IP address as it may be a DNS issue. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I hate it when the ISP's blame you even though its on there end.
    I had so many conflicts with ISP that I just use them as the last resort. Where I work we have users who use VPN's to get access to the domain at work from home and setting up their routers which come from the ISP is a nightmare. So many tweaks have to be done.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

when we do the stuff for users own kit they have to bring it to us and then we charge them biscuits (not peanuts!) for the labour! I hope you are doing the same!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing