Straight out of Uni

Discussion in 'A+' started by Enicomb, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Enicomb

Enicomb New Member

Hey,

Brand new here, just looking for some information. I looked at doing the A+ about a year ago but at the time found that the syllabus as to be changed from 2003 to 2006 edition, so decided to hold off until the new 2006 one came in. But now I'm not sure which exams I would need to take to get an A+ certificate?

Before it seemed to be an OS and Core exam, but that no longer seems to be the case?

Also does the A+ All in one certification guide cover everything in the A+ exam(s)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help

Certifications: BSc
    WIP: A+
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

welcome to CF!!!

What did you do your degree in?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums.

A+ has changed but it is still 2 exams that you have to take to become certified.

The difference is that now you have different fields in IT you can specialize with the A+. At the CompTIA site it talks about each A+ specialization so that would be a good Idea to take a look at. Here is the website.

As for books I believe the A+ all in one by Mike Meyers is probably one of the best if not the best books available.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

The best I know. Be sure to have the latest edition (at least 6th).

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

The first exam you now have to take is 220-601 A+ Essentials, followed by one of three that you can choose. I agree that the Meyers 6th Edition is the best there is for it, i've tried a couple!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

CompTIA's site make recomendations for which exam to do for your second one, depending on your particular focus.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for Meyers' All-in-One 6th Ed.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Enicomb

Enicomb New Member

Thanks for all the quick responses! :)

Seems that's pretty unanimous, All in one it is, I think.

I've just finished studying Computer game technology at John Moores univeristy. Not all about playing games, but programming, maths and pychics, with some 'basic' computer science thrown in, I got a 2:2.

Certifications: BSc
    WIP: A+
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome :D

Yes as said go for the all in one exam guide 6th edition.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Buck

Buck Bit Poster

I joined with Skills train to do an A+ 2003 course. I was never told that it finished this summer or actually how much it cost or how long it it went on for.
    My own fault I understand now. However I did think that I was only signing up to a course that last from Oct 06 til June 07.

Now I owe them £2000 odd & my course lasts til 2008 "Ahuh"

So which ever way you chose to take, read the small print & ignore so called freebies.

Good Luck Buck...

Certifications: N/A Nearly got a Degree
    WIP: A+ N+
  11. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Why have you diverged from games? Don't feel it's the right thing for you?

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.