Stop Error Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by datarunner, Jan 5, 2009.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Hi all

got a bit of a nightmare here. was asked to fixed a friends dell pc as it was virused / spywared to hell. so tried using my latest copy ubcd4win with the latest av / spyware defs on.

but the system was so bad that i decided to opt for an in place upgrade / repair install using the dell reinstallation cd to preserve the persons files, photos etc.

so far so good but when i get to the gui screen "installing devices" i get a 0xc2 bad_pool_caller stop error at 34 mins every time.

so i then decided to dump all the persons docs etc to an external drive and just go for a clean install.

ive also noticed that randomly during setup or using the boot cd that the keyboard freezes, ive tried different working keyboards with the same result.

now as we all know, windows is very difficult to reinstall without a keyboard

ive heard that the stop error can be debugged but its an area im unsure of

so any ideas

regards

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

PS2 or USB mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

PS2 M8 will try and get a usb from work today. GBL thanx for that, will test the memory 2nite.

Regards

5. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi there

dont always take what you find on forums etc as gospel. tested with memtest and no memory errors found. so formatted the drive with partition magic on boot cd.

reinstalled xp no problems and keyboard works ok.

just need to import the persons pictures etc back on.

dont know if this was the best way to repair this but i could have spent hours diagnosing the stop error.

if anyone knows of a better way repair something like this then id like to know.

definately a strange one

regards

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ghost from another machine would be the best, but obviously, if you don't have another machine lying around it would rule that out!

Personally I wouldn't bother - if you've run a memory test and all seems well its either going to be the drive (replace it) or something on the mobo (bin it). If I was interested enough I might get a caddy and stick the lappy disk in, boot into another copy of windows and take a look through the minidump files on the fubared drive, but usually I just can't be arsed with all that. I envy and pity the people who spend days on end farting around with machines that are on the way out - envy them because they have more patience than I ever could and pity them because, well, lets face it there are far better things to do with your time!

Of course, since this is a 'favour' its all dead time invested anyway, so I might consider it 'in for a penny in for a pound' and see if I could figure it out - but it would need to be a damn good friend for me to waste any of my life sodding about with it. Your only problem may be that the machine may be on its way out anyway & you might end up with it back on your workbench in a couple of days... and since you've Lazarused it once expectations will be higher this time around... :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi there

i tested both the board and hdd and both are ok - thats wot id do as standard. and it isnt a laptop.

regards

8. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

What is the stop error code?

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

That was just one of the many topics I found on google that had the same result.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi there

was in the 1st post but here it is again:

0xc2 bad_pool_caller stop error