Static vs Dynamic IP addresses

Discussion in 'Networks' started by stupot, Jul 25, 2005.

1. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I'm about to upgrade my dial-up account to broadband - Finally built myself a decent PC and my dial-up account running at 50Kbps just isn't doing it justice, so 2Mbps here we come!!

I've found a decent provider, now they are offering a static IP address as standard.

My question is regarding security. Is a static assigned address less secure? Surely if someone new my IP address and wanted hack into my system then having the same IP address is less secure than one dynamically assign each time you log on.

I'm not going to using my account for anything else but surfing, email and downloading music. I could see the benefits of a static IP address if you were an organisation with a web server for example! But not for a home user or am I wrong in this assumption. Should i go for a static address or Dynamic?

Cheers in advance.

Certifications: Cisco IT essentials I
    WIP: CCNA, N+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

a static is no less secure than a dynamic to be honest, and its usually a pay for extra
    so id go with it, its a handy thing to have, even more so if you ever want to try anything clever,

but security is not an issue
    hackers dont pick targets because they found an ip, or an open port
    hackers generally look for a perticular vulnerability present to exploit, and they generally pick there targets less randomly too :)

nothing to fear here :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

cheers phoenix

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Nice thing about static is if you plan on hosting your own site, it makes it easier since you don't have to deal with dynamic DNS.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

I do hope to host my own site eventually so Static it is.

Cheers guys.