Static Routing and Linux Q's

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Jellyman_4eva, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

I was looking at an article I drifted to at work about a guy who had a cable connection and a dsl connection and he wanted to get a old PC and run Linux on it so that he could then share the connections to his home PC's and if one of the connections failed, the other would automatically take over...

Now while I do not have/want this setup, I was curious about it, and a guy responded saying to have 3 NIC's and use static routing to do it, now I was just curious in terms of IP addresses how this actually works?! I imagine the clients use the internal NIC of the router box as their gateway, but what does the gateway do to make this work?!

Also as an aside, a while ago a guy came in and crashed the test network by running a flood ping?! How is this done?!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots