starting out

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Mar 31, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

After uni im hoping to get a 2 1 at least.

But im trying to plan for next year when it comes to getting a job and im wondering where to start. I have an idea of what i want to do, basically i like trouble shooting, so when something goes wrong i get called up to fix it etc. Now i also know that no employer will just shove me in at the deep end, i know ill have to start at the bottom and work my way up. I dont mind this at all.

Where did some of you lot start and did you have a career plan set out ???

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why aren't you out looking for part-time stuff now? That will give you an even bigger head start, I promise you.

I did not have a plan starting out. My degree was in Chemistry, and no employers would hire me. Although I did many lab projects while working on my degree, I did not work in a chemistry lab. So... I got a job in IT as a Field Service Tech. One opportunity led to another until I am where I am today. Never thought I'd write for a living.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I am keeping my eye open for stuff and ive recently added my CV to a northwest section of the NHS. Im also trying to get in the workplace by volunteering to work a few days a week, which i know wont pay but i see it as a foot in the door approach

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what BM said also if you like troubleshooting then look for field service engineer roles, help desk and technician jobs

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good deal... in my opinion, that experience will help you as much or more than your degree will early in your career.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I had no idea what I wanted to do. So heres my life story. Kind of random and luck really. I do have short term and long term goals in mind at all times - I think thats important. For instance I want to get into a graduate scheme one day but at the moment I am enjoying travelling in the 13 weeks I get off a year + taking time to study (after hols) to enhance my employability.

Did a 4 year degree with a year out working. After 9th interview with a company I got declined as an older chap who had worked in that industry was chosen - he said no to the job so I got it. So that 1st I.T. job working doing anything required of me (I.T. support etC) in a heating company with 120 employees.

From there I found a good 16 hour a week I.T. tech job at an Infant and Junior School both with roughly 50 comps/laptops/printer/server etc. Got made redundant from one and hours increased at Junior school + more responsibilities.

Graduated and needed more money + wanted more experiance + something closer to home + bigger network and school holidays for travelling (theres more to life than work and your only young once + once in a career job you can't really buuger of here and there for 4 weeks at a time) so applied to two schools got one of them at a 'high school' secondary girls.

So now I.T. tech for a 1200 user school with a nice virtual reality suite and about 700 comps/laptops then all the rest printers/servers. Although the money is really bad it has its short term benefits. Sometimes you have to take the low paid jobs to get yourself on the ladder or w/e.

Just get those entry level certs under the belt and some basic experiance and your be on your way. In the mean time you could try out a site like pchomehelp - which can put you in touch with some people who need help with comps for about 40 quid for two hours work. Get some practice with troubleshooting that way. IMO its important to get a firm grounding in the industry your working in rather than jumping str8 in at a higher level or expecting to.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  7. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I have a similar story to yours Jiser. I graduated in 2007 but didnt do a placement year. I had no experience in I.T but heaps of academic qualifications. I after 12 interview eventually got a job at a school as an Technician and have been there for over 15 months. I also got lucky as the two other candidates who went to the interview were overqualified and I was the only one who wanted the job. I have a similar sized network as the one you mentioned. I also get the full school hols which are great... roll on easter! I kinda fell into to tech support and am very happy in what I do and cannot really be bothered with a graduate scheme as I kinda know where I wanna go. My pay isnt bad for a first job neither plus the job security in the current job climate.

8. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Where do you wanna go?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  9. Andy L

Andy L Bit Poster

My story is virtually identical (right down to the number of interviews etc.) except I graduated in 2006. I got very lucky with my current job because another guy got it ahead of me, then (I believe) pulled out when he realised that the job was part-time. Although the network manager then left after 4 months and then my position became full-time, albeit a very poorly paid one!

10. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Into third line support, network admin, then further into a technical capacity or IT management.