Starting out in I.T at age 30

Discussion in 'A+' started by ade_b, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ade_b

ade_b Bit Poster

Hello everyone, I have joined this forum aa I have just recently started some home study with the aim to become Comptia a+ certified. I have been working through a huge book of over 1000 pages but I really wanted to pose the question, it is worth me getting this certification? The reason I ask is that my background is in the automotive industry in customer service, parts and service departments I am hoping to change career as I am good with computers and I enjoy working with them I am actually Interested in computers with is more than I can say for the motor trade, do I go for the a+ the the network + then try and get a job that pays £18k+ or is there a better route? The most annoying thing about my current position is that I am well paid, I do appreciate however that I will need to take a pay cut but I really cannot afford to drop to less than 18k a year as I have kids and a mortgage, any assistance would be appreciated as I just want to make sure I am. Going about things the right way.

Many thanks in advance

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The customer service skills you have can be a big help in an entry level IT Support job as you will more than likely have to deal with users either over the phone or face to face when resolving their IT issues.

Would definitely go for A+, Network+ and perhaps a Microsoft desktop cert as well.

As for pay try and aim as close to the £18k mark as you can but if a job comes up at £16k (just an example) then go for it. If you think long term you could be earning more than if you stay in your current job.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hey Ade.

30 is not too old to join the IT world, and i am living proof. I enrolled at uni in 2006, and only recently have a found a full time job, i am now 37. If i had to change, id go down the certification route rather than the uni route, although im sure thats helped me out. As well as the certification route id suggest any form of volunteering in an IT role would be good, although i understand this will be more difficult with your situation etc.

As sparky has pointed out, your customer service skills will help you out as you will need to deal with people on a daily basis.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. ade_b

ade_b Bit Poster

Thanks guys, that's really helpful and has put my mind at ease knowing that I'm on the right path, its nice to know that someone else has achieved too :) I will take a look at the Microsoft cert also, thanks again guys really helpful.

5. ade_b

ade_b Bit Poster

Oh I have just remembered, is it worth me taking a look at ITIL the reason I ask is that one of the job roles I was looking at (it technician type role) stated that knowledge of ITIL desirable, whilst I'm not aiming for that right now I guess it may appeal to employers even for a entry level position?

6. Sparky

Yeah - ITIL would be also be good to have. Would get the techie certs first though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I started in IT at 30 doing 1st Line Support, now a Solutions Architect at 36.

Collected one or two certifications along the way, as well. So I'm living proof that it can be done.

I think some of my first year and second year in IT forums posts are pinned, makes for interesting reading :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
    jk2447 likes this.
  8. maestro

maestro New Member

Hi Ade

If I can give my twopence worth to this discussion.

I actually started out in IT at the age of 50. My business collpased about five years ago and rather than stack shelves I decided to try and get into IT. At this point I new nothing about IT. I now have a 1st/2nd line role paying quite well and am very happy - with good promotion prospects.

To get to this point I studied for about a year and a half then started putting my engergies into getting a job. It took me about 9 months before I got a paid job.

So it must be possible for you to be able to do it. My first paying job was for £18,000.

However, although it is possible let me warn you that it is still very difficult. No matter how many certifications you have, employers are after experience. I had to go to work for nothing for about three months (two different employers) and then put on my CV that I was actually employed by these people on a temporary basis. In fact I had to pay an agency to get these jobs. Yes so that means I paid someone to actually work.

What I would say is that you must enjoy the studying - and don't get too hung up about getting the certifcations. The exams themselves don't really mean that much but the knowledge you get from studying for them is invaluable.

Good luck

Certifications: A+ N+ CCNA CCNA Voice Microsoft XP,7 and Server 2003
  9. ade_b

ade_b Bit Poster

Thank you for your responses, im working through the Comptia a+ material at the moment with the intention to then move onto network + after that I'm not too sure yet but I'm sure by that point it will all be so much clearer :)

10. Messiah74

Messiah74 Bit Poster

Hey ade_b

Welcome , I have only just joined the forums, found them so helpful , I like you changed career , came from retail management and took a pay cut ( sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards ) a+ is foundation stuff and really quite easy so don't stress. One thing which really helped me is just building and troubleshooting rigs , it's amZing what some people through away as faulty ( I'm an eBay whore ) , the theory stuff in a+ is great but you do need to put it in to practice a lot , otherwise your in danger of learning the right answer without knowing why it's the right answer. I wish you all the success in the world , if you enjoy I.t your more than half way there :)

Certifications: Comptia A+ , Comptia N+ , C.C.N.A
    WIP: M.C.S.A
  11. ade_b

ade_b Bit Poster

Got myself an entry level job in IT as a first line advisor in software support starting next month, I'd like to thank those that replied as it encouraged me to apply for the position :)

Messiah74 and BIBobby like this.
  12. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the job.

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  13. Sparky

Congrats mate :)

14. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations on getting your job. I'm in a similar position to yourself. Almost 30 working in the automotive industry although i'm a senior technician rather than desk based. I have been around here for a while but reluctance to take the plunge keeps holding me back. With the impending milestone I have a renewed urgency to get this sorted.
    If its not to rude to ask, was the salary for your new job in the region you were hoping for? I also can't afford to drop too much, when I first started looking to change proper entry jobs did pay in the region of 16k and my earnings were closer to that than they are now but then the economy hit hard times and it seemed those jobs were asking for so much more in experience and quals.

WIP: A+
  15. RTuck

RTuck New Member

My issue is similar to the person that posted this thread. I currently want to switch careers. I have a BS degree in Business Administration. I want to attend an online school named WGU in the future. Most of my credits will transfer. I may have to go to school for two years tops. I do not have much experience in computer networking, therefore they are requiring me to get A+ certified before I start school. I recently started studying for A+ certification. After studying, some study materials are saying that I should have at least 12 months of hands on experience before I take the test. How should I go about getting this experience? Should I try to build my own lab and practice, pursue an entry level job? I would just like to get some more insight on how I should approach this.

Roderick