Starting new/old job on Monday

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by wizard, Sep 28, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just thought I'd drop a little note and say I start back at my old employer Argos on Monday.

This is through the agency in a different department, working in the e-commerce team replying to customer emails.

Training for 4 weeks 6 - 10pm Mon - Fri.

Then 6-10pm Mon - Thu and 12-8pm on Sundays.

At least it will give me a steady income through my bankruptcy.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

At least its money dude, good luck :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good on you, mate. Sorry about your troubles but I'm glad you've got some income through all this.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

12 - 8 on Sundays?? Does ARGOS stay open that long? :ohmy

Good news on the job anyways. Do they have IT network type stuff that you can get into, or is that all outsourced?

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

This is the e-commerce department in their call centre, the website is open 24/7 8)

6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Lol... sorry mate. :oops:

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Glad to hear that wizard. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Money coming in, job experience, its looking up m8 :)

I assure you its easier to find a job once your in a job (sounds odd but its true)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  10. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Best of luck to ya! :D

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Why go through the bankruptcy route when you have this job now and time for a normal job during the day too? If you ask mei this is what you should have done a long time ago. You might also want to consider getting rid of your credit cards and your mobile phone too.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Because it would take several years to pay the debt off and I'm having difficulty keeping a job because of thinking about my debts. My mobile phone is now pay as you go so no contract and my credit cards are maxed out anyway, so really gettting rid of them isn't really the issue.

This will be a new start for me so I'm taking it :)

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

So do it.

It's a luxury that you can't afford, allegedly.

You would then be paying them off without using them and therefore reducing your debt.

To be blunt all I see is someone thats copping out as anyone that reads your blog objectively will see.

It's time you stood up and took responsibility for your life and not just sit around playing a victim.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I am not playing the victim here, in fact I'm actually facing up to my problems.

Do you understand how pay as you go mobiles work? You pay for what you use, you top it up once in a while, it is used for emergencies.

I'm sorry this isn't a cop out as you are calling it, I'm really offended by that comment. :x

I have been struggling to pay back the loan for over a year now.

I haven't used the credit cards in over 6 months.

So do not judge me, you only know me from the forums.

15. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

A year? One of my closest friends has been in debt for five years solid now, and still battling along with it, I really do have so much respect for her. She really doesnt enjoy her job, but sticks with it, because she run the debts up, and now she's paying the price. I personally think anyone who runs up debt, should then have to pay them back. I really dont like this "easy way out".

Although your saying its not a cop out, thats basicly what it is, whether you want to believe it or not. Why can't you work a steady job like everyone else has too? I think its safe to say, most people dont "like" working, but its just life. How do you think you'll be if u ever have a mortgage, paying back £900 a month, plus your bills? I dont know how much your paying off at the moment, so appologies if im way off the mark here.

In saying that, I dont know how much debt your in, and what sort of person you are, so I will try not to judge you and wish you the best of luck in sorting all this out. I would really like to see you without all this stress that your obviously going through. I havent been there, and I dont think I ever will be, so its hard to understand. Appologies if this is harsh, or if you take offence to it, but I have very strong opinions about these kind of things and I cant help but put across.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If this is going to get "personal", take it back channel via PM or email or whatever.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Ahh No mate:ohmy don't go back to Argos your better than that, OK so its some money to pay the bills but Argos are Total W@nkers and sh$t at looking after their staff8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Yes I understand how pre paid mobiles work. I had one for a long time before I could afford a 'normal' one, not the other way around by having a normal one until I can't afford it and then changing to a pre paid.

As for my comments, I hope you are offended by them and decide to take responsibility for yourself and push through the hard times.

So you've been struggling to pay the loan for over a year. If I remember rightly you had a job where you were working 26 hours a week. What the hell were you doing for the rest of the week? What was stopping you from getting a second or even a third part time job? When you come and tell me that you're working 3 jobs and 18 hours per day six and half days per week, you eat plain cornflakes for breakfast, 2 jam sandwiches for lunch and plain spaghetti with butter for dinner for a year and a half like I had to, then we'll have something to talk about.

As for judging you, I'm doing that from what you've written and that gives me an insight to the way you think.

Below I'll post some comments from your blog starting July 18th 2007, in your words - not mine.

All I can say is unbelievable.

You choose to ignore the fact that you owe people money and then wonder why the want to take you to court? All because you couldn't be bothered doing something?

So you don't do anything about it?

Missing payments isn't going to help you get it paid off.

See the above comment

Very responsible thing to do.

At this point I actually thought that you'd woken up and seen that the situation isn't as bad as you think it is. Good for you.

Well, you did use their money and now are not paying it back as you promised to do (and signed the contract). What did you expect them to do?`

Actually the first sensible thing you've said.

If you're so hard up you can't afford to travel and if you can afford it then you're not so hard up.

Maybe you should've sorted it out a long time before now.

So, 3 weeks into a new job and you hit the first hard part and what do you do? You want to quit because you didn't get it perfect the first time. I've got news for you, it's not called training for nothing.

And now..

Now you have your set hours you can fill in the rest of the week during the day with another job too. Actually start working to find a way to pay off your debts and get yourself out of this situation instead of working to find a way to get out of it.

If you think I'm being hard then think again. I've been in your situation and I stood up and took the responsibility for the situation I put myself in. I got myself in, I'll get myself out. I've held a full time job, worked as a barman at night and when that finished went to work as a bouncer at a nightclub, one after the other. I've done the most distasteful jobs of emptying rubbish, cleaning toilets and emptying septic tanks because I did anything it took to get out. Can you say the same??

19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Wiz has made his choice

I had a ccj against me so I couldnt go bankrupt, I have been pay my debts since just before I was 25 I am now 30 my debts will be clear by the end of March just after I am 31.

But if Wiz wants to go bankrupt then its his choice although I tried to advise him against it a few months back but as I say its his choice.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Only thing I can say to that is, I have alot of respect for you for doing what you did. Realising your mistake and correcting it yourself.

I dont know how much Wiz is in debt, but I have to agree with Nugget. Even moreso now I've read the previous post about the blog. If you cant help yourself out of these situations, then you've got no chance.

I dont want to get personal Wiz, but if you nailed down a full time job, surely that'd be enough to cover your outgoings? I work for a debt collection company and I hear about this sort of thing day in day out, but I know you can get out of this. It just seems to need to settle down in a good job and help yourself. I know it can be hard, and you'll have bad days, but if you file for bankruptcy you future will be very limited in regards to alot of things. Im sure you already know this, I just dont like seeing people in bad situations.

Whether you go ahead with the plan, or decide to try and work at it yourself, I hope it all works out for you.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012