Starting my Career in Information Security

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mecha, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

So a few months ago I got an acceptance letter from Royal Holloway for their Masters in Information Security. I did say previously on this board that I wanted to get into security but people did down talk going back to university

But somehow I always seem to get lucky breaks, and my lucky break = me getting on board in the infomration security management at work! I had a word with my manager yesterday who gave me the good news that I'll be sitting on the InfoSec and Assurance board from now on, that I will be going on an internal auditors training course for ISO27001, and when my masters has finished there is a possible job of InfoSec sub-mangament open for me.

So it seems, so far, to be all setup I just need to buckle up and try my best.

I have two years in which I'll be hopefully completing:

-CISSP (I kinda have no choice here as it's a partner of the university, I'll only be an associate of ISC, but at least the exam will be done. I'll just need to wait 3/5 years :eek:)

-CISMP (Certificate in Security Management Principles, this is from IESB who over see the ISO27001 or something, I've forgotten!)

-Internal ISO27001 Auditor

-Security+ (Does anyone know whyen the 2008 exam will be updated?)

-MSc Information Security (the trophy piece)

I'm excited but cautious. I know it won't be a smooth ride but I can only do as much as I can, which will hopefully mean everything! It's a great oppourtunity for me to get education and hands on experience. But I am also scared to leave the technical side and go over to the more governance side of things. But ultimately I'm sure thats what I want!

I hope to keep this updated when fresh news is in, maybe every odd month. But I hope to give some hope to others who are trying to get into the field

I'd also love info/help from other guys in the InfoSec industry to see what else I can do.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
    Certifications: BSc Networking, A+ (601)
    WIP: MSc InfoSec, S+, CISMP, IA ISO27001
  2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Information security at Royal Holloway will be good fun.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

I hope so!

I haven't found anyone who has been a member of this course, but I've heard some good things about it by older students!

4. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Im starting my MSC in 'Information technology Security' at Westminister university this September, I did fancy the Holloway course although it was a lot more expensive! Good luck!

5. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

Well they dropped the price to £5240 which isn't TOO bad. But then again I am doing it in block mode which basically means I'm paying about £7k for the course. I know I won't reap all the benefits right now, but hopefully down the line that £7k is going to be a wise investment :p

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good luck! It's going to be fun, interesting, and hard!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Just a guess but since the Security+ will require a renewal every 3 years if you get it after Dec. 31 and since they seem to take three or more years to update these things and since the last one was updated in 2008 my guess is it will be after 2011 before Security+ gets updated. But that is simply a guess!:biggrin

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  8. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

That's not too bad actually, I already have student debt's i'm trying to clear (from my Bsc) so im hoping to pay for this one along the way, also in block learning mode (2 years). I have to do around 6 Modules @ £400 each so we are looking at around £2,400 which is a lot easier on the wallet, although I am envious of you going to Holloway! :x

9. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

Yeah that's what I was reading. I was surprised that you need to renew it, as I believe this is CompTIA's only renewable cert? I might as well wait till 2011 in all honesty, so I am fully up to date!

Your whole course is about £200 more expensive than just my dissertation module :(. It's expensive but something you said in your last sentence makes me believe that this is one of the most reputable universities to do InfoSec at. I hope to maybe work a few years in the industry and progress with my Ph.d

I'm still wondering about the technical or non-technical route! The older I get I get less technical (for example, I had a Nexus One but didn't like it, and got an iPhone 4 for it's clean simplicity. Running an all Mac household due to not liking the extra stuff I needed to do to keep Windows running OK) so I am thinking of when I am 27, do I really want to be an admin diving around cmd prompts, etc...Or do I want to be putting my head into a pile of paperwork, etc??

I dunno. I got till November to decide! But the two modules I have pencilled in as optional choices are Pen Testing and Digital Forensics. So my mind says technical....

10. oush

oush Byte Poster

Congrats mate!!! I wanted to go to Royal Holloway as well. They have the best security institute in europe belive it or not!!! Very highly rated in the security industry. I'll be starting my Msc in Security Management at loughborough in october. You are aware the block learning is more pressure then normal learning right? To be honest i'm planning to do the same certs as you except replace the Security+ with CEH. Someone that has an Msc in Information Security does not need to waist their time on learning Security+. Keep the rest and replace it with CEH mate. Much better and more FUN cert!!

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP