Starting all over again

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by alamb200, Jan 18, 2010.

1. alamb200

alamb200 New Member

Hi,

Once upon a time I used to be an MCSE in NT4 and an MCP in Windows 2000 Server :D, unfortunately I am not anything any more :(.

So I have decided to get back into the habit of pushing myself forward again instead of being lazy and resting on my laurels. This being the case I need some help and advice if possible I want to start by trying to get a couple of Windows Qualifications under my belt seen as these are the systems I tend to work on.

What I would like now is advice on which exam would be the best one to start on and which of the millions of training manuals for the same exam you would recommend.

If you have any other advice you can pass on I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks,

Alamb200

2. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Hi alamb200,

Firstly, welcome to the forums. I think you will find us to be a friendly and helpful bunch!

Secondly, the best starting point really comes from you. Take a look at the potential exams and map out how you intend to get certified, then look at how you need to get there. To start off with, you could take exams that are close to your current skillset, with things that will take more work left until you have some under your belt.

For books, I generally like the Sybex books, paired with examcram. I lot seem to like the MS Press books and then there are CBT Nuggets, exam sims...

So, really, what are you working with now?

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  3. alamb200

alamb200 New Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest just starting to look, I had an serious kick up the backside this weekend a company I used to work for called me to see if I wanted a job and after talking to them for a while I realised how lazy I have been regarding this sort of thing. The end result is I am planning to talk to them if they still want to speak to me when they realise I have let my certs slip but even if they do still want to speak to me I have allowed myself to give away what would have been a very strong negotiating position.

So far I have not bought anything, I have in the pas used ExamCram books but there always seemed to be gaps in what they were saying so I wondered if there was something more thorough which is not to dry. I am currently working with Windows 2008 server but have not installed more then 5 or 6 of these before that it was all 2003 but I do not want to chase a dead exam.

I am not sure if I would be better off looking at Active Directory or the file sharing exam.

alamb200

4. ITtech

ITtech Bit Poster

If its few exams to get your MCSA in 2003 then you do the upgrade exam to MCITP for 2008. That way you can have both certs. There are still plenty of companies using 2003 and will be migrating to 2008.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Network+, CNA, MCSE, CCNA, MCT