Starting 70-270

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Jay_7, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

Hi all,

I know I said I'd be resting for a couple of weeks before starting on the MCSA/MCSE track but I couldn't resist having a peek at the Microsoft book for this exam. Before I knew what I was doing, a peek has resulted into having just finished chapter 5.

I have been using XP Pro since 2003 and have been supporting users of the O/S for about 2 years. (I'm currently the only IT guy in a company of 40 employee's with a combination of XP Pro and Vista Business on a SBS 2K3 controlled domain). Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to ask a question I'm sure you've all been asked before at some point - and I realise everyones preparations are different! But realisticly, how long should someone like myself spend studying before attempting the exam? Like I mentioned before, I will be using the Microsoft Training kit and thanks to that Preplogic sale, have purchased the practice exams and audio lectures.

I thank you all in advance...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Unfortunately this is one of those questions to which there is no definitive answer - it's entirely dependant on you and how you learn.

The best advice I can give is read, take notes and re-read until you feel confident enough.

Take practice tests and if you score well on these mock exams then that should give you an accurate representation of the areas you're particularly weak on. Once you know these you'll know which areas require further attention/additional reading.

Hope this helps.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

Aye I half thought that myself. Cheers anyway Qs! :thumbleft

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I can only echo what Qs already said :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Given your obvious experience, I would say a few weeks, maybe four would be a reasonable study time. It would all depend on your circumstances though and how much time you are willing to give over to studying.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Qs

You can't give a set time period, everyone learns at a different pace and has different studying restrictions - work, school, partners etc.

It's not as simple as MCSE = 3 weeks. If you're preaching on this note then you'll begin to sound like the I.T career advertisements on television...

MCSE in two months!
    Guaranteed salary of £38k+!

...and everyone knows how off the mark they are.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi,
    These guys are right. I passed it a few weeks ago, i've only been working in IT for about a year. It took me about 3 -4 months studying between 1-2hrs a day.
    Did you learn anything from what you have read so far?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Perhaps you should actually read what I said then ... I didn't give a hard and fast time limit, made a judgement based on what he said but did also add ...

I'm fully aware that there is no 'correct' answer to such an open ended question, but you can still advise people what you think. I actually teach the 70-270 at a local college so I do have some experience in this area.

I must say (having read your reply again) you have read a massive amount into the comments I have made and also made huge assumptions about my intentions. I'm not sure I have been condesended to in such a way ever before on CF. Very poor show I must say :(

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  9. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

The only thing I've read that I didn't know previously was the various ways of deploying XP Pro. The rest I've just kind of read and reinforced what I already knew.

10. Qs

I wouldn't go so far as to say I have made huge assumptions regarding your comments, I merely believe it is not advisable to specify a time limit for study (however much an estimate) because, as previously stated, different people take different amounts of time to learn required content.

My reference to the television advertisements were made in jest, and if you didn't realise that then I apologise. Said reference does however give credence to the opinion that accurate estimates with regards to study time cannot be given - you need to find out how prepared you are for an exam by putting in the work and testing yourself; identifying areas of weakness, and re-reading until it sticks and you're confident about it.

At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion and I hope that you understand my intentions correctly.

Qs

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Fair enough, just didn't come across that way when I read it.

12. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Well this is quite a big area on the exam. But if the most is already known then you should get throught it quite quickly.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  13. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Just came across this, thanks Jay for beating me to it and posting it first :p

Just a few questions to those who ALREADY wrote the exam:

1. I purchased the Transcender & the MS Self-Paced Training Kit for this, but I got scared when I ran through the practice exams and saw that most of them are about 1 paragraph long! I want to know: are the ACTUAL exam questions that long?

2. Are all of the questions multiple choice like CompTIA? I heard someone a while back mention that some are fill-in the blanks! That's a scary thought! Hope its not true.

3. In YOUR OPINION, is this exam harder than 70-290 and 70-291? Someone told me that this is the hardest one, cuz the other 2 build and continue from it. They also said that 70-291 is the easiest (or was it 290?)........which I found hard to believe, cuz I always thought that 70-270 was the easiest. So help me here, and NOTE: I asked for your personal opinion.

Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to your replies! :biggrin

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, revealing this information breaks the NDA we signed before we took the exam. :(

I found 70-270 to be easier than 70-290 or 70-291. Most people find 70-291 to be the hardest, not the easiest.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

The exams are not that long and the questions are multiple choices, cant remember filling in the blank when i took that exam. And in my opinion i cant really say which of the exams are harder because i believe if one prepares adequately you can pass them excellently but anyways i found 290 easier though, 270 was a bit tasking probably because it was my first and it contains more questions... Dont be scared, you can do it. Best wishes:thumbleft

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  16. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

I concur Qs suggestion

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

i'll just reiterate a point thats often overlooked.

No two Microsoft exams are ever the same, regardless of the exam number. :wink:

The questions are taken from a *pool* think about it a bit :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Thanks guys for your input. Much appreciated! I can't help it, I just like gathering opinions from various sources, cuz everyone has their preferences, so it balances out and helps you approach the exam with a neutral attitude......rather than over-confident or doubtful/discouraged. It never hurts to know other's opinions. Thanks again everyone! :thumbleft

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  19. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

Well folks, it took a wee while longer than I had anticipated but I passed the 70-270 today with a score of 810. Roll on 70-290!!! [​IMG]

20. Qs

Congrats! :)

Qs