started work for 70-290

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by sangstar, Mar 3, 2008.

1. sangstar

sangstar Bit Poster

im starting my work for the 70-290 exam now, im just wondering whether Microsoft are testing for Server SP2, or are they still at SP1?
    Ive checked http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.mspx or the latest objectives, and theres no mention. I read up about the difference on wikipedia; it mentions theres changes just to performance, and little hotfixes.

Im installing server 03 today and creating the contoso.com domain, so tomorrow i can begin work on the exercises in the microsoft training kit book.

Ive been reading posts from other members regarding books, lab practice etc.

Im using MS virtual pc, and will be using xp as client, i was thinking to use vista as another client, but i figured one step at a time! Whats the difference between MS virtual PC and this Virtual Box, as in whats better. The spec of my laptop (which il be running this all on) is 1024 mb ddr-ram on a crap advent with a 40gb hdd.

Also someone mentioned running RIS between the virtual machines, but it didnt work when i tried it last week!

Book wise, im working through the training book, but someone recommended windows server 2003 administrators companion, so Im getting that, also i found a website that has video tutorial of various taks in windows server 2003, specially for the 290 exam.

Certifications: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional (70-270), Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment (70-290), Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client (70-620), CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, MCSA: Server 2012
  2. sebstah

sebstah Nibble Poster

Hi Sangstar,

your question made me think does it or not (im studying mine as well).

found the below link -

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/lastpostinthread206323.html

SP2 appears to be more a slipstream upgrade, no major changes just as you said more hotfixes then new applications.

- cant help you with the VM question as im running VMware
    - ris does work with VM machines i got it working for the 70-270 exam.
    - im using the mspress 70-290 book and transenders at the moment

good luck with the studying :)

Certifications: A+,70-270,70-290
    WIP: 70-620
  3. sangstar

sangstar Bit Poster

sorry to sound dumb (!) but i checked out vmware website, is it any good?

do you use vmware workstation for your clients? its just that theres loads of versions and im getting confused, theres a virtual desktop version, and vmware server one.

Certifications: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional (70-270), Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment (70-290), Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client (70-620), CCNA
  4. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

vmware is realy good for setting up a virtual network as says on tin. I set up a WSUS server and 3 clients for the 70-290 exam not forget other bits.

I did see somewere at college you can buy for 130 quid now. have a search here on CF for more indeep info on Vmware.

On Yourtube there demos on how to use & setups.

5. sangstar

sangstar Bit Poster

yeh i looked om youtube and saw a demo on setting up a server usng vmware server. what i donw understand is, for the client do i create those in vmware workstation, or is it all done through vmware server? and whats the vmware labs version they have on their website?

im gonna install vmware server later on, and import the the vmc that i created in ms virtual pc.

6. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Had a look at the objectives and features from the service packs arent featured so its a safe bet that your not tested on it. Besides if they were I'm sure they'd release updated materials like they did with 70-270 exam.

If in doubt check the microsoft website

good luck

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417