Started the new job recently.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aushus, Feb 17, 2015.

1. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Hey everyone,

just an update that I started my new job 3 days ago and its alright,

want to thank everyone in this forum that helped me through the rough times I had.

cheers :)

JK2447 likes this.
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well done and stick with it for a while.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

In this new place I only being here 3 days and I am actually doing basic server and back up support cases.

I like the company and the people and the person I report to is really good.

They know what I being hired for but they said I got to do these support cases first cause there is a huge back log of work,

are they trying to test me to see what I am capable of?

either way off to a good start closing cases and doing work,

I must admit i do feel like within the last 3 days i have being going backwards compared to the complex stuff i did in my last place, so a bit worried about that.

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I wouldn't worry mate, once the back log is cleared you'll be free to get involved in bigger and better things. Best of luck

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Starting a new job always takes time to settle in, you dont want to tread on any toes and everyone will be weighing you up to see what kind of guy you are. Best of luck with everything and keep us updated on progress.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

thanks,

i have to prove my self to others and get respect :( its like starting from the bottom again has anyone felt this,

what pisses me off is some people come up to me and talk about what something like what powershell is and i have good experience with automation, i don't say hey dude i worked with automation a lot blah blah i say ok ok yeah yeah play along how ever the old me will rip him and say something like i know what powershell is i can automate your job out the door, but i am not like that.

Has anyone faced this?

7. JK2447

I went from a senior engineer knowing my stuff to the new boy in architecture covering a much broader area. I am currently not loving the amount of network proposals and commercial work I'm doing. I'd love to go back to hands on technical. I still might sod it. Money isn't everything

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Starting a new job is always like starting from the bottom, you generally won't find your place for roughly 3 months (that's usually why there is a 3 month probation).

You still really need to do some growing up tho, people don't know you or your skill set, you will always be tested to see how you react, not just now but always in your career. If you don't like this then I will say again, perhaps IT isn't for you.

IT isn't the job it used to be, it's not the same money, same skillset or even the job security it once was.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Congrats!

Is this your first IT job?

10. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Juelz

It's me I being working for 5 plus years what makes I think it's my first?

11. JK2447

Maybe he meant me, I feel like a flippin newb I tell ya ha ha

12. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Omg it's being 3 days and I hate it I feel like I'm going backwards in my career today they got me doing tier 1 helpdesk e and they said I have to log tickets an hour each day guys WhY they paying me 40k British pounds when someone fresh out of school can do what I'm doing now in my last place as a consultant I ran my own success ful projects what's going on should I quit?

13. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Yeah quit, you are obviously too good for this company. Give Bill Gates a call I hear he will take you on as his next prodigy. You might have to start at the bottom again though so on second thoughts don't bother he would only waste 3 more days of your exclusive time.

I actually believe your just winding everyone up or is this a really a serious question.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Jaron78 and Juelz like this.
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

3 days on the job? When I started my job as a consultant (focusing on architecture).. my first month was doing support just to get to know the customers.. You need to put in your time. People notice good work and regardless of what you feel, you need to give this a good shot. Don't let the dull work get you down, I've always took the first few months as learning about the business, customers, and people surrounding you.

Let them see your skills rather than just feeling like ripping someone a new one because they've asked you the wrong question. Build good rapport, make connections, and focus on what you're good at. You'll never find a job with only good things to do.. you take the good with the bad, that's just how this world works.

With that said, good luck!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Oh it was a serious question. I apologise for my none serious response, you really do have an odd way of looking at situations so I thought it was a joke.

You need to know how the company works, from the bottom to the top and they need to see how you work inside and out. This time is all about getting to know each other, you and the company, you and your co-workers, you and the customers. You need to stop putting yourself and how good you think you are out as the main focus, 3 days is not enough time to be complaining that you are better than they think! Man-up a bit, you sound like a spoilt kid.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Perhaps because of the whiney way you're behaving and acting? The fact that you're showing no maturity at all as well as the fact that you just don't have a clue how the real world works.

My suggestion to you would be to go start looking at flipping burgers because I have no doubt any time soon you're going to tell the directors of this company that they don't have a clue how to run their business and that will lead to you having another bout of being out of work.

I hate to ask this but I am going to, although you live in NZ are you a naturalised kiwi or are you an immigrant? The reason I ask is that you have a massive chip on your shoulder and the attitude comes across as someone expecting the world owes them everything. Not something I would normally associate with Australians or Kiwis if I am honest with you.

17. JK2447

Hi Aushus, as you can probably tell, being on a good wage and moaning about it probably isn't the way to go. If they have you logging tickets atfer six months, then I'd be wondering what was going on but until then I'd enjoy your money, go on holiday, spend it on a girl, what ever mate. You're doing well chillax

18. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Now I'm the last person to be negative towards someone, especially when they are trying to succeed but you're taking the Michael, I would love to be given this oppourtunity.. and for 40k per year? really? you're complaining? I would take 12k per year just to get a chance in IT.. I'd be more than happy to take a low wage if given the oppourtunity to grow.

19. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

guys,

so today my manager said I am doing really well and setting good examples and am onto it real well,

especially since today was the 4th day,

I will give this a month and a week,

if I am doing the same shite over again and not doing what I did in my last company and not being challenged I will walk off, because its a huge waste of talent,

im not the type of person that sites back I am a person that accepts challenges and fight on,

doing basic stuff that I did when I was starting out in IT is not my plan, Money does not make a person happy, I want challenges

we will see.

20. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Walk off? how about starting some dialogue with your manager? Why on earth would you walk off when you can just as easily communicate the matter?