Started studying at last!

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Frontier, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Hey all. Just thought I would let you know I have finalley started studying! I enrolled on the databases and programmer developer course with ITLEARNEASY last week - MCAD is the first cert, im on the foundation modules at present and so far so good. I have had no problems at all so far - The course starts with the basics of programming and explains everything clearly. Support and training materials are excellent. I am doing the course over 2 yrs. I will let you know how I get on :biggrin

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck mate, how long have you been studying with them for?

Just noticed they offer a 2 week boot camp in Florida, tempting! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

I started studying with them a week ago :biggrin
    I am on stage 1 at the moment 'Software Programming Fundementals'

It has not been very challenging so far but I am sure it will get harder as I progress through the course. Its good that they cover the basics that are required that help you learn any language. The support is based in a chatroom environment and there are mentors available 24 hrs a day, although I have never needed to use it yet this is very ideal with me working full time in the daytime and only being able to study during evenings and weekends. One of the best things about the training is that in the tests and hands on exercises you get results and feedback sent to you straight away - you are not sat around waiting for your work to be marked by a tutor.

I will let keep you posted how I get on.

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck mate, it sounds like you are all fired up and ready to roll 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. wideboy_west

wideboy_west Bit Poster

Hi

What MCAD are you doing, VB or C#. Keep us all informed as you go along

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

:biggrin Talk about taking the bull by the horn. Just keep at it dude.:D :D :D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

I am studying vb :D

9. Sparky

msgbox "hello world" ,vbinformation

sorry, could not resist! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

I have just started the module - Microsoft Windows NT Programming for UNIX Developers: Architecture. I am finding it very hard to get my head around. There is an awful lot to take in and alot of the time it doesnt explain what things mean properly - I have to had to research on google to find out just what the kernel is when I started the module! Has anyone else come across this and found it a struggle to get your head around? I am just scraping passes by getting just above 70% in the end tests but I feel that perhaps I am not understanding the content as well as I should.Apart from that ive been doing fine.

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Um - the key is in the title. If you are a Unix dev then 'kernel' shouldn't have been a surprise! :biggrin

But ask any questions you like here - I for one am a Unix dev, and have done Windows dev as well.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Im getting nowhere on this course now :(
    Theres so much crap happening at work and in my personal life at the moment that I just cant focus on the material. I havnt even finished stage 1 and im like 3 months into the course :(
    It is extreemley hard to feel motivated after a long day at work as well. I just cannot get myself motivated enough. Some days ive wondered why I bother cus it feels like im getting nowhere. Does anyone else here get like this? Im taking a few weeks off my studies, while I get my life sorted out and because I feel I need a big break from it. Hopefully ill feel refreshed and got things sorted out when I return to the studies.

13. Sparky

Bottom line is mate you have to put the work in if you want to pass some certs, its not easy.

If you are struggling for motivation then you have to ask yourself *why* you are doing the certs and is it really worth it?

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good luck on your studies.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. erdie

erdie New Member

I would like to do the same course with ITlearneasy hopefully starting in September.
    If I do this what are my chances of getting a job using the qualifications that I get from the course I don't have any working experience in this field. I have read a couple of post in this and other forums saying that you should look to starting in a training role with employers to gain experience, but the problem is that I have a family and can't afford to be earning less money than I am now. The way I am looking at it at the moment is that if I do the course and don't get a new job at least I have still got my current job. But is it a waste of time and money or have others found it worthwhile doing these courses.
    erdie:biggrin :blink

17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Most people on here advocate self study as all you have to do is buy books and study but do a course if you want. Unfortunatley if your like me and have no experience but have qualifications then all you have is a slight advantage over the other inexperienced people.

You may get lucky and get a job that pays well but you might not.

I work in a production job, processing files for newspapers and producing the plates for the press, I have a HND in Business Computing and I am working towards my A+ but I have no experience so I may have to drop from £17000 to 16 or even 15 but i have to wait until my debts are paid

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Hey Erdie its good to hear of someone considering the same course im currently doing. What made you decide to do the programming with them? I will be honest with you the course is very very tough and you would really have to work hard. Regarding your question in my honest opinion you would have to gain some experience as well as having the qualification before entering the higher salaries, but you may be lucky and gain an entry level job for around £16/17k - dont despair, write down on your CV details of the course you are doing and what you have learnt and employers will see you are working hard and serious about your career. That is what I am doing and when im in a later stage of the course I will be trying to get some form of volunteer work to try and get my foot in the door, maybe that is something you may want to consider later on. Even if its just a couple of hours per week. At the end of the day you would be taking a chance - some people take these courses and they work, others are not so lucky. It is the same for people who go to uni. But I keep telling myself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If you would like any information about the course just let me know ill be happy to help :biggrin