Started in my new job role

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by onoski, Apr 23, 2010.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well taught I should post some good news as looking at the forums of late it's been somewhat, fill the blanks.

A week ago I started my new role with my current employer in the position of systems support engineer. The role entails resolving server related issues, active directory administration, backup's of systems and data files, maintaining our HP SAN systems, building servers and supporting our Citrix remote mobile users etc, some much more not even mentioning Anti virus and network printers.

The role is very challenging as we have recently installed VMWare and setup a few servers on our ESX host using Vsphere to administer the vm's. Talking about vm's I have been scheduled on a four day course in London to attend training on "Installing, maintaining and administering" VMware 4.

On the contrary HP SAN systems are way too complicated as it makes VMWare looks like child's play IMHO:), no but serious being real.

These are interesting times as we would also be migrating from AD 2000 infrastructure to Windows 2008 infrastructure with Exchange server 2007.

I have already installed a few windows 2008 servers on our SAN with the assistance of my line manager who is very knowledgeable.

My role previously in the company was mainly desktop support, but noticed the server guy had so much to do and didn't have someone else. I quickly opted to start helping where I can i.e. if a server is down in one of our remote site I would volunteer to go and have a look at possibly restarting or troubleshooting the server.

I was noticed for willing to help and assist and was doing this for over 2.5 years as I always had my deskside of things pretty much sorted. I setup a new ghost server for imaging desktop and laptop computers helping to reduce the time it took to re-image a PC to nearly half the previous time it took.

I was resolving e-mail related and roaming profile issues with little or no assistance from third line support.

Thanks to this wonderful forum and helpful posters here at CF:) with sincere help and post. I was interviewed for the role just over two months ago and was given the role officially and with a big pay rise too.

I am still excited and looking forward to learning and advancing in this role. As I always say keep on looking for a role and be willing to learn even when it looks bleak as your break would come when you least expect. It took me well over five years plus to land an IT role, first one got fired because of lack of experience.

The second one, lasted even till now. Finally, thank God for the privilege and favour. Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. wisdom

wisdom Bit Poster

Congrats! :biggrin I am sure God was making plans for you. I am back in employment too, similar job title as yours. Psalms 145 will do very nicely! :biggrin

Certifications: CITP, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Sounds like there's enough to keep you occupied :biggrin

Best of luck in the new role !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats and good luck in your new role:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. shadeyB

shadeyB Bit Poster

yeah very well done dude :D congrats and keep it up

Certifications: Birth , Marriage & Driving
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Awesome work fella well done!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well done onoski. Great news!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Congrats mate. Sounds like a sweet role.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations mate!

Sounds like well deserved position!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sounds like a really interesting position and a good company to work for. Congrats!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats! Keep up the good work!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sounds like a brilliant job, congrats and good luck 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

congrats! and well done, nice to hear your hard work is paying off!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Congrats sounds cool

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks all for the congrats:) much appreciated.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell