start again A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by Unemployed Diogenes, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

I started 1/2 a year ago with a plus for a few weeks, but find a job and had me fully concentraded on that for a while and forgot A+.
    Now the job go fine without needing working at home after work.

So 3 days ago i started A+ again with the book Mike Meyers. It's interesting stuff. I'm middle in the chapter of processors now. Fact that i native dutch speaking make reading a lot slower for me than for native-englisch speakers i guess.

I wanna start a log her for my motivation if that is possible.

Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm not bilingual and have a great admiration for people who can speak and read more than one language. I know that as a native (American) English speaker, the Mike Meyers A+ book was easy to read in terms of style, but I know that Meyers, being a Texan, tend to write like he talks. I can only imagine that it must be stylistically more difficult to negotiate his book if you are reading it as a second language.

Good luck on your studies and keep us posted as to your progress.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Good stuff, keep us posted how you get on dude.

Certifications: A+, N+
  4. Unemployed Diogenes

Just finished chapter 8: power supplys.

Interesting stuff! Now chapter 9: hard disks

5. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello Unemployed Diogenes,

I have also started A+ about 10 days ago and I am reading the same book as you. I am also bilingual; I am Portuguese myself however reading and talking English is something that came naturally for me.

I am halfway on chapter 10 and so far the reading is interesting. I am already revising as well but I am way back in page 81 chapter 3 Microprocessors.

I find it better this way. I read the book but I keep myself some chapters back revising them and taking notes, things tend to stick better.

I am planning on having the book done with by last of November and maybe take the exam on the first 10 days of December if possible, let’s see.

Let’s keep this post interesting.

Take care and good studying.

Albert, C

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Nice materials for A+. Good luck Unemployed Diogenes and Albert...

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  7. Unemployed Diogenes

Thx for the support, Albert. I allways take short notes in the book, so that i can revising all fast after reading. Most of what i read, i knew before, but the book learns me a lot more of background stuff and details.

Now i'm halfway in chapter 10.

I wish you a good study too!

8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Hey Unemployed Diogenes, but seriously your name has a a very sorry ring to it:D. Anyways jst noticed you majored in IT at school. Thats kind of cool, am studying ICT in school here will be graduating next year September... What was your department's motto? Ours is Information is Life.. Cheers and best wishes

9. albertc30

Hello you all. How's everybody?
    Just to let you know I am on my way to chapter 13.
    Here is an excel file with the cpus table from the book, thought it would be handy to have it around instead of going trough the pages anytime you might need something CPU related.
    Enjoy your studying
    Albert, C

Attached Files:

10. Unemployed Diogenes

thx for the spreadsheet! I printed it of.

Just finished chapter 11 now.

11. Unemployed Diogenes

I get my Bachelor-degree IT 2 years ago in adult-evening school (Belgium). It took 5 years (2 evenings a week + 4 hours each saturday (Belgium). There was no moto..

When i was young i quit school and learned almost nothing(that's also the reason of my terrible English grammar). I liked more smoking weed, use MDMA, **** girls and going out and stuff like that :) I was young in the early ninety's in Belgium/Holland you must know...

since i was 30 i start to like study and computers (i'm now 36)

12. albertc30

Hello mate.
    Well to be quite honest with you man, you HAVE got to quit that Sh**. At 36 years of age you better get your act together and grab a hold of life with all you have got as you only have one shot at it.
    I was only 11 when I had to drop out of school due to my parents divorce, something that just didn't happend where I come from (Azores) in those days that is, now it apparantly is fashion.
    I had to look after my other 3 brothers and sisters and do all the house cleanning and cooking and the funny thing is that I was good at school and I loved it, never flunked a year but there was no choice. I did what the law was asking at the time 6 class. Lukily latter on when I was 16 I went back and completed the 9th year. So here I am now at the age of 31 trying my luck at IT which is what I always loved since the age of 16.
    I have now just started chapter 18 sound. Seems interesting.
    Take care and keep on the good work.

13. Unemployed Diogenes

Hi AlbertC, i already stops 6-7 years ago with that ****. Now I'm married, work and study so there are no problems anymore.

I have much respect for what your did in your youth for your family! What is your job at this moment? Do you already work in IT?

Anyway, now i'm gonna start to read chapter 14: DOS.

14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that file, you've just saved me a couple of hours :onthePC

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  15. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Its good to know your right back on track... Just keep staying focused mate:D... best wishes

16. Unemployed Diogenes

i'm half chapter 15 now.

But have to focus study Micosoft System Center Configuration Manager also for work...
    Also buy Mike Meyers Network+ book today to keep the motvation. Seems interesting stuff, because it's not all Microsoft in it and a lot of information how to connect MAC OS with Microsoft what i can use for my job.

17. Unemployed Diogenes

How is IT in Nigeria, mate?
    If i want i could work in Johannesburg(South-Africa) as dutch-English speaking ICT helpdesk for two years (for the world championships Soccer in 2010). Of course i realise South Africa is totally different as Nigeria, but it's also Africa...

I'm kaukasian, so maybe it's extremely dangerous for me in Johannesburg... I don't know.. What do you think?

18. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

IT in Nigeria is really booming which of course requires more competent manpower to steer it in the direction that it will keep on impacting positively on the socio-economic facet of the country. All in all IT is very lucrative here which of course I believe is same everywhere...

On you being Caucasian and if its dngerous for you there(SA) I cant actually comment on that cuz I have never been to SA before.

19. albertc30

Hello.
    Just finished the book.

Have to go through it all now and revise and schedule the exams.
    Merry christmas

20. Unemployed Diogenes

i have quited. For my work i work whole day with webservers, vb.net and asp.net at this moment, it's new for me and i have to focus fully on that now.
    I could to quick p***4***e and took the test, but it's not the right way so i don't do. Maybe later i pick it up.

Anyone knows if there are good certifications for VB.Net. I mean.. is it appreciated when you have that when you looking for a new job in that branche?

I've discovered that developping is better for my finances and that is why i work for.

@AlbertC: Congratulations. When you gonna do the exam?