Stable Wireless Connectivity via the command-line on Ubuntu Server.

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Samuel1, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

Howdy everyone!

I am having a devil of a time getting a stable Internet connection with the latest version of Ubuntu Server. I am hoping that someone here has some experience with it and could shed some light on the best way to go about it. It seems as though everyone has a different approach on different forums and all of them have some kind of messy errors when I execute them.

My network is on a older Linksys wireless-G router protected by WPA2 Personal. Shouldn't be a big deal. All I want to do is connect to the network and set a locked local IP to something like 192.168.1.45.

I've been able to connect, but only intermittently. It's odd. I was able to ping google.com, and yahoo.com, but not even my own router/gateway IP! In addition, my programmer was able to SSH in, but when he did, it started repeating the "y" character on the screen and then booted him off and has since been unable to connect again. Usually after a minute or so, it'll suddenly stop being able to ping Google.

This is a known working good machine. Fresh install of Ubuntu Server, so no possibility of malware or anything like that. I'm at a loss.

Any help would be greatly, immensely, incredibly...appreciated! Thank you all!

2. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

Bad form to reply to my own post, but I thought I'd add what I have tried so far...

I used this tutorial:

HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc. - Ubuntu Forums

Have a look at the attached photos. It seems as though I am doing everything right -- I don't understand the error messages that result in the second photo.

Thank you for reading!

Attached Files: