SSID question

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by kobem, Jan 28, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Think you built a home network but wireless one and you have these devices : only one wireless DSL modem
    and more than one wireless access points attached to it wirelessly. So , which device is the SSID broadcaster ;
    either that modem or each wireless access points?

Then

how many WLAN do i have? only one?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

One - if they both have the same SSID.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Like Sparky said, one.

See here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

So, what do you mean by "they"? each access points or wireless modem and one of the access points?

secondly, in this case, which device broadcasts SSID; wireless modem or one of the access points?

5. Sparky

By "they" I mean any device that broadcasts a SSID.

Secondly both devices are broadcasting the SSID, so if the wireless router was switched off the wireless access point would still be broadcasting the SSID and therefore the wireless network is still available if your device (e.g Laptop) is in a suitable range of it.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Perhaps this might help:

Imagine you have a room filled with sweets (or "Candy" for the yanks). There's a guy outside the door shouting "Free Sweets in here!". That's your wireless router. Now imagine you add five other people further down the road in various places. All of them are shouting "Free Sweets", and pointing you in the direction of the original guy (Those are your wireless access points). They are all pointing to the same place, and saying the same thing. Therefore, they all form part of the same network.

They are all shouting (broadcasting) the same catch-line (SSID) to get the attention of the punters, but they are all still pointing to the same place.

I'm sure there's a better CCNA way to explain it, but I'm not a CCNA, just a lowly developer. So I'm afraid my laymans terms will have to suffice (unless someone comes up with a better one).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This is why Kobem has been pointed in the direction of the Mike Meyers Network+ book. Although you have described it differently Meyers uses a similar scenario to describe how SSID and wireless routing works.

Well said Repped.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  9. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Im so pleased about the situation how you attracted me in such a different way. But my concern wasn't
    understood. Yeah, if WAPs and modem or router are at the same place, they are pointing out the same place
    and they both broadcast same SSID since they are part of the same network. However, i meant
    this: if when both device/s placed at the same network, which one broadcasts the SSID?

10. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i will examine it. Thanks

11. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

My current understanding is this: they all broadcast the SSID.
    Your wireless client (pc/smartphone/...) will detect which access point sends out the strongest signal and connect to that one (roaming).
    When you move withing the building your client will switch to whatever access point gives the best signal.

This might explain most of it: http://www.wireless-nets.com/resources/tutorials/how_roaming_works.html

Is that what you were after?

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'm fairly sure that if you examine my analogy, you will see that I answered that point. In fact, that was exactly the point I was trying to make.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. Sparky

Both broadcast the SSID.