Problem SSD Raid Performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by westernkings, Oct 29, 2009.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys,

I reinstalled Windows 7 from scratch yesterday evening, and I have seen a noticeable drop in SSD Performance since, I have used HD Tune and that too, shows a lower average speed than before. WEI also has dropped from 7.1 to 5.9 score.

I never actually changed anything in the raid controller, just literally reinstalled windows. Does anyone have an idea what it could be? I am thinking driver issue, I have installed the latest drivers from my MB manufacturer. But I am stumped.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

In Device Mgr, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, what mode is the drive set at?
    E.g Ultra DMA mode 5

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Are you saying that your score dropped from 7.1 in Windows 7 (non-beta) to 5.9 in Windows 7 (non-beta)?

Or are you saying that your score dropped from 7.1 in Windows Vista (or a beta Windows 7) to 5.9 in Windows 7 (non-beta)?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

did you format the drive?

how close was the SSD to full before the rebuild?

SSDs wont overwrite blocks if there are empty blocks to fill for the most part
    they delete blocks in groups, even though they write to them individually

if your at the point where its now deleting stuff prior to writing, its going to eat more performance
    the cheaper SSDs are ALOT more susceptible to this, what drive do you use?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. westernkings

It dropped from 7.1 in Windows 7 Ultimate RTM x64 to 5.9 with a fresh install.

I deleted the drive, then formatted it, then installed Win 7 as per usual. I am using Corsair x256 Extremes, 4 of them in a RAID0 Array with the Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller. So they are pretty dam expensive drives, not the cheap corsair storage solution ones.

I'm confuzzled.

There are some figures from a benchmark. Look how low the write speed is...... So something is mega up.

and here is what the manufacturer says it should be;

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. westernkings

On further reading, apparently reinstalling windows causes a drop in write performance unless you use special software to completely erase the drive.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yup, erasing the partition doesn't erase the blocks!

That would probably be your issue mate

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. westernkings

What would be the best way of completely erasing the drive?