Sql 2005 questions

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by dales, Apr 7, 2009.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

I've now decided to have a pop at the 70-431, whilst I have very little experience of sql we use it at work so the ability to be able to know what im looking at when trying to sort out a sql server would be of great help.

A couple of questions spring to mind, firstly does anyone know of a quick way (preferably free) for creating a front end to a sql database. (dont worry about this one just discovered you can use access as a front end.)

Also can anybody recommend any good sql books (2k5 versions) already have the osborne mgarth one.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. zardoz

zardoz Bit Poster

Hi
    I would recommend the Sybex book for the 70-431 exam I used it and passed. You may struggle a bit having no SQL experience though - reading up on general SQL first might be a better idea.
    SQL is basically the same across SQL Server, Oracle etc, although there are some differences. The key thing before starting the 70-431 exam study would be to understand selects with left/right joins and GROUP BY/HAVING, inserts, updates and deletes, and also specific to SQL Server stored procedures and functions.

Certifications: MCITP Sql Server 2005 (Developer)
    WIP: MCTS .Net
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Oracle has PL/SQL and SQL Server has T-SQL, they both include functions and stored procedures but the syntax differs more significantly than in other areas as these areas are not covered by the ANSI SQL-92 standard.

The SQL Server exams cover mostly product features, but basic knowledge of SQL is necessary.

You do not need to create a front end to practice SQL and DB administration, SQL Express is free and has a free management studio.

SQL Express will do for 50% of the exam but there may be some features missing from express that are in the exam.

There are many front ends available for databases both free and commercial, best to use a Standard/Developer/Enterprise SQL evaluation version with the included MS SQL Management Studio for the exam as thats closer to the objectives.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/trial-software.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx

If you are a student consider dreamspark.

70-432 is now available also.

5. zardoz

zardoz Bit Poster

IMHO you would benefit from getting an 180-day evaluation copy of the enterprise version of SQL Server 2005/2008 if you don't have access for it to study for the exam - the express edition will lack a lot of the features you need to become familiar with.

I phrased my remark about stored procedures and functions poorly - I should have said study the SQL Server basic syntax for creating them and what can be acheived with them.

It is correct to say that Oracle uses stored procs/functions but the PL/SQL language has features/syntax which do not exist in T-SQL and vice versa so delving too deeply into Oracle PL/SQL wouldn't be helpful I don't think (Oracle PL/SQL is arguably better but thats maybe a matter of opinion). I can't comment on DB2 as back in my mainframe days I never used s.procs

Certifications: MCITP Sql Server 2005 (Developer)
    WIP: MCTS .Net
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

thats ok I got a technet direct sub so already have sql enterprise installed on a couple of vm's. thanks for the reminder DS about BCS, didnt think to look in the library.

Some really good tips coming out of this thanks for all your input guys, as I say im just interested in learning something completely new to me.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing