SQL 2005 backup issue

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by Asterix, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Guys, not a SQL certification query but more or a general SQL issue, I haven't worked with SQL before and don't want to stop DB or redirect the scheduled backup paths as im not overly confident with what im doing and have the following issue:

I have been tasked with taking a full backup of the DB on server A, and installing SQL and restoring DB on server B. When I right click the DB and select backup, select correct settings and point towards a file location I immediately get the following error message:
    "Backup error - not part of a multiple family media set"

I have searched online for a resolution with no success and all resolutions suggested seem to be a workaround with no explanation of why changes had many difference.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What scheduled backup do you have?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Sparky, This is only my third week in this role and TBH I'm not sure how the scheduled backup is configured, how would I check this? I trying to figure out in my head how a scheduled backup can affect a manual full backup?
    When I attempt to backup DB locally (drive C) it already shows a stored file path (under drive: J) and after receiving the initial error message with saving to drive C: "Backup error - not part of a multiple family media set" I tried saving this DB to drive 'J'. (although I still get the same error message).

4. Sparky

Its been a while but I think if you run the manual backup and keep the default file location where the backup is going to it should run ok.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server.... etc.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

sorry just to clarify: do you mean keep the same file path and save the new (full) backup in the same folder?

6. Sparky

7. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Thanks Sparky, il give it a go in the morning! Sorry for being very vague, im not fully versed with SQL or the current setup so currently having lots of fun!

8. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

All sorted now! I was adding a new path for the backup and thought that as this was highlighted, all i needed to do was hit 'OK'.............. this didn't work because i didn't remove the initial path that was in the list! I removed this and backup was successful! thanks for all your help! REP Spark's for all your frequent and helpful updates!
    Doh. what a newbie!

9. Sparky

Nice one mate :biggrin