Sport Relief

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by twizzle, Mar 4, 2012.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Hi Guys

I got a cheeky one here. I'm running 6 miles for Sport Relief end of March. Don't normally do charity work, but since i've started running i've entered a few fun runs etc and caught the bug, so thought i'd give this a go too. Basically its 6 miles around a 400m track (so 24times?). I'm hoping to do it within 50mins and only thing that may stop that (apart from numbers taking part) will be the boredom of going around and a round and around the same circuit. So to help me, i'd like some of you to sponsor me. the link is here Sport Relief giving page | Sport Relief 2012 so you can donate online. I'll even use a GPS app on my Samsung to record all the details for the run, as well as the Nike+ app on my Ipod touch (as wella s using that for music to cure teh boredom). So will be using tech while i run. (i've also gone and bough teh sprt relief sock to wear while running!)

You can find out more about Sport Relief here. About Us | Sport Relief 2012

Please help, my targets only £50 which will go a long way. Thanks.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. jamesclimax

jamesclimax Nibble Poster

Ha ha1, i'm doing 1 mile for Sport Relief as well. Would appreciate some sponsorship as well, if anyone is willing?

Link is here - Sport Relief giving page | Sport Relief 2012

@ twizzle - i'll sponsor you if you sponsor me????

I myself have also bought the very fetching Sport Relief socks!. However I do need to buy some proper running shoes.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: MCTS 70-659, Oracle, SQL, ITIL
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ha Ha James! Theres a group of me and friends that are running it. 2 are doing the mile (one with her partner, sister n brother in law who will walk it while she runs) and 2 of us doing the full 6 miler. We have been promised scones and do'hnuts when finished!

As i'm sponsoring them as well, i'm a fraid i've been cheap and only sponsored you £2.50 (its costing me an arm n leg at this rate anyway lol) but every little helps.

As for running shoes, i have a pair of Nike+ Free Run 2s that i've been using for 6 month. Thier comfatable but can get cold and let in the wet a bit. They do however have a socket for teh Nike+ dongle to sit in which is useful if you plan to use the App or wrist band to record any runs.
    All i can really say about any running shoes is, dont skimp and buy the cheapest, get a decent pair and your feet will thank you.

4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Good luck both of you, it's a great cause.

8)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  5. jamesclimax

Thanks mate, i'll return the favour.

Thanks for the advice re: running shoes, will probs have a look around for some this weekend.

6. jamesclimax

Favour returned to the tune of £5. Good luck!

7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Many Thanks James and Good Luck to you too. Once done you'll have to post your completed time on here. If your really serious about running it then around 8mins is fairly ok, if your just taking it casual then its should be more like 10 - 11 mins. I'm aiming for 6 miles in under 50mins, but will depend on how many others are on the track. (you watch, i'lll do it in over an hour now i said that!)

8. jamesclimax

I go to the gym a lot, weights, but always finish my workouts with a 1-mile run, and i'm hitting the 7/8 minute mark, so no problems there. Plus I cycle 6 miles a day (to / from work)

9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thats good going then. I normally train twice a week with local athlectics club. Means we get about 4 to 5 miles each session but tends to be broken up into bouts of 400m to 1000m dependant on what we're doing. Best i've had so far for single mile is 7"05 after an hours training (for total of around 8km!). My average is probably around 7"30 per mile now.

I have started cycling but we do anywhere between 6 to 15 miles when we go out and thats just once a week.

10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Done and done :) good luck man!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thank you Dawn. Appreciated.

You get anywhere with the Nike+ app yet?

12. jamesclimax

got my time for 1 mile down to 7mins 15secs on the treadmill, so hopefully i'll be able to carry that over to the actual run itself

13. kishmbee

kishmbee Bit Poster

jamesclimax and twizzle, now I am looking to go out for some sport relief. And that will help in reducing some of my belly fat too. :)

14. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well i've done mine. 6 miles in 51min 22secs, not quite teh 50mins i was hoping for but still ok by me! Was crowded at the start as there were around 300 ppl signed up from all ages, 3 to 60! Most were doing the mile, so after a few laps the track started to clear. Couldnt have been more than 12 doing the full six and in this weather it was hard going. Still thanks to all how donated and now for next years one lol.

James how did your mile go? My mate did hers in 7mins 20 roughly.

15. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Well done Twizzle, 51minutes is pretty good - much better than I could do :D

Did you hit your target donation?

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  16. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well done mate and a good time too, I've been running for 4 years now on and off. Did the great north run twice and a few 10K's so I know what its like having to train day after day. Big thumbs up. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  17. jamesclimax

My time was 9 minutes. Slower than I wanted to do it in, but the route was quite narrow and I got stuck behind a family and couldn't get passed them. Still, I came in 6th overall out of about 100, so not bad. I beat my donation target and work have offered to double it, so with that I've raised nearly £300 in total.