Spon...signing on

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by spon, Jun 22, 2004.

1. spon

spon New Member

Hi there everyone,

My name is Ian and I live in the UK near Gatwick Airport. :tongue I've been a technical assistant for the last 10 years using Unix and MS software with secondments here and there as an IT helpdesk technician also helping with server admin and system backups. I've been a computer hobbyist since ZX81 days, building, upgrading and setting up computers, setting up small networks and been the usual contact for family and friends for IT issues/maintenance.

I'm 29 and whilst my job used to be a way to get money to do things after work, I have matured a little to understand that my work life is important to me to as well as perhaps is a more secure financial future (have you seen the house prices these days!). Anyway, I decided that there is no reason why my hobby couldn't be my job and that in fact I missed working in the IT environment.

So my plan over the next few years is to consolidate my experience and hobby skills with the A+ certification then perhaps the Network+. With those and my work experience, I hope to move into a good helpdesk/IT admin job as I believe on the job training is invaluable to myself and to potential employers, then move towards MCSE or CCNA as my interest lies more towards hardware and servers than software.

Luckily I am able to get financial help from my employer for the training costs and of course being employed full-time keeps the bills paid. Study wise I shamefully lack the discipline to self-study for months on end, preferring instead the classroom environment, and luckily my local college is running evening classes for 36 weeks for the A+ certification.

I'm hoping my history will set me in good sted for the A+ course with my future worry being able to keep within the classroom for my further certs as I have as yet not managed to find anyone doing classes for the N+ let alone the CCNA or MCSA. Consequently may have to travel further to get the training and those boot camp courses sound more than a little intense for my liking!

Anyway that’s me and my ambition. Comments are always welcome and I look forward to chatting to and begging for help from you all *L* :study

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Welcome, Ian. Glad you found the place. If you're a UNIX and MS guru, you'll have to connect with Sandy, one of our mods. He also knows the ins and outs of those systems. Please feel free to make yourself at home and don't be afraid to ask questions. Also, with your background, I'm sure your experience will benefit the rest of us. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hey Ian nice you couls join us

Sounds like you've got the whole Cert thing sorted. Serf around and post away.

Cheers

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

Hi Ian :) I'll have to rob a bank if I ever hope to actually buy a house with the prices going the way they are now :(
    I'm sure you will do well as with determination and enthusiasm you can achieve most things :D I certainly did :lol:

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Ian - thanks for joining up with CertForums :D

Sounds like you'd breeze the A+ with your experience already (IMHO). The option of doing it through your local college sounds good - is it free, or for a nominal sum ? Go for it...

Not sure about standalone N+ offerings, but to be honest, even tho you say you don't have the discipline to self-study - from experience, I honestly don't think you'd struggle with Network+ with your current level of experience.

Anyway, enough Yada Yada from me - settle in and enjoy yourself, Ian - we really are a harmless bunch :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums Ian, thanks for joining. Make yourself right at home and join in where you can.

Speak soon. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Ian welcome to the forum. Pull up a keyboard and make yourself at home.
    Chat night is on Thursday night so if you get a chance come along and find out what we're really like. :lol:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. spon

spon New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! The evening class course is £500 plus £200 for the exams but my work is paying so no outlay for me.

Thanks for your confidence Jakamoko! I've looked at the A+ subjects and they do make me think i will not struggle to much but i think doing the course wont be a waste of time even if i ace it as at least ill have a certificate proving my knowledge to employers rather than just my word. And im sure it will help fill out the probable blanks in my basic knowledge and give me a forum to figure out the next step i hope.

Does anyone have any good linke to evening classes for other certs at all?

9. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Welcome Ian! I agree that you are doing the right things by doing A+ classroom led as work are paying - that way you will have structured learning and will be able to get to know the other students which may lead to further certs or maybe even job opportunities.

Make yourself at home here and shout if you need any help with anything - oh - and chat around here is Thursday evenings from 7pm!

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  10. spon

spon New Member

Many thanks everyone! I have researched much deeper now (including posts in this wonderfull forum!) and i have to admit that i dont think i would struggle with the A+ or N+ exams so i have decided to take a training provider course that covers both certs at once rather than spend 36 weeks just doing the A+

After that I want to move onto MCSE territory however im finding it very hard to find a training provider in my area that is not a boot camp or self study. Is there a good online resource or agency you guys can recommend that i can phone to find classroom courses in my area? I'll ask around in the MCSE forum too. :)